Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a Remington Model 12C and was wondering if anyone here could help me determine the value of it? I can post pictures, etc.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Prices are all over the board. Lots of them in existance, so condition is everything when it comes to pricing.

Without good clear pictures, One would be guessing as to how much it may be worth.

Bob

·
Banned
3,881 Posts
From my limited experience, your 12C is probably an octagonal barrel pump which shoots shorts, longs and LRs. It will most likely have a corncob forend and a cresent shaped inletted butt plate. I think most were built between 1925 and 1929. Condition is EVERTHING. A bad bore is the Devil's curse and pitting is typical. A total restoration will cost more than an excellent condition example is worth. If you are looking for a very well made .22 pump, do some research on a Winchester Model 61.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not looking to buy, I'm looking to get a value on this so I can sell it. I came across it in a trade and have no use for a gun that will just set in my safe.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Yeah bad bores are the bane of Rem 12's. I have one that's been in the family since it was bought new in the 1930s, but the bore looks like two miles of bad road. The steel was susceptible to the corrosive primers of the day, even when kept clean. It's the shorter, straight grip, round barrel version (I think that's the 12-A, but the gun is buried in the back of the safe).

The 24" octagon barrel version is the least common, other than some gallery models in .22 Short only. Prices for guns with a lot of use are typically $250 to $600, depending on external and bore condition. Mint can go higher, but most of these guns were well used, as they were small game, plinking and target shooting workhorses.

If you were near me I'd be interested in it, but by the time shipping and FFL costs are added in, the costs simply don't justify messing with them. They're a simple gun and as such they make a good learning tool for restoration.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bore on this gun is very good. The rifling is still sharp!

Is $500 a realistic price for it?

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Possibly, depending on the local interest. You could at least start there and see if you get any nibbles. The blueing looks in the pic like it's turning to brown, but incandescent lighting can cause that effect. If the blueing is actually blue, then perhaps try $550 and drop if no interest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts