Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, now. Just what constitutes "factory" ammo?

Black Hills 223 is made on Lake City Military brass. Whether it's pull down or just new projectiles I think is a moot point.

The fact that they are marketed commercially must imply some sort of commpliance with SAAMI standards. Before passing judgement we need to know how they package it, what procedures/equipment are used, etc.

There are a couple other reman sellers like Black Hills, but their name escapes me.

HM

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Ask them for their license that states they are a licensed ammo manufacture---they can be in deep poop if they don't have that license.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
886 Posts
If they are selling their own ammo then they need to hold a Class 6 FFL.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
I've used Black Hills and Ultramax .223 hunting ammo for many years. I've found it is not quite as good as quality ammunition from Hornaday, Federal, etc., but works well enough for most varminting out to medium ranges. I reserve the premium ammo for long range shots or coyote hunting. I've found the reliability to be excellent, except for one lot of Ultramax 223 HP that caused doubling in a 5.56 AK. Have not seen that problem since.

I used to shoot cases of reman .38 Special, most of it from a local company, back when police agencies were still using .38s and .357s. Once the switch was made to semi-autos, the brass sources dried up. The reman .39 Special was cheap enough that my handloads cost more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts