Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleaning out my garage I found 1250 rxp12 wads. As I only have 700x powder. I can,t find this wad in the IMR loading book using 700x. I probably brought them back when I was loading Blue Magics. I think back then in the late 70,s I was using 452aa powder. Can I safely use a rxp12 in place of a fig.8?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I called Hodgen and the told me that I could use RXP in place of fig 8 data with int clays. They were nice and quick with the answer just call them and then you know for sure.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
The Rem. RXP wad was replaced by the Rem. Figure 8. It should be fine to use in place of the RXP wad but, I have some old loading data in my old Lyman book. If I can find it I will message you. Would be glad to copy it and mail it. I have done that for some other folks on here. I'll look for it tomorrow.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Call Hodgen? Why didn,t I think of that. Called them and spoke to Mike. He said that he had no cross reference for a RXP12 to a FIG.8 or the other way around. He said it might work ok but he wouldn,t say to do it. That was using 700X. Slide Action I want to use a RXP12 in place of a FIG.8 Not a FIG.8 in place of a RXP12

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Right on the RXP box 17gn 700x or Red dot, 1 1/8 ounce, RXP wad, 2 3/4 dram. bump up to 18gn for a 3 dram load. This obviously was for a RXP hull. Used this data for RXP and Federal ChampII hulls. This should work in Gun Club hulls as hull dimensions are the same. Or you could just send them to me as I still use them.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
As per broadway john, yes that's the same data I found in an older IMR reloading guide, it specified Rem. primers, so I dug a little deeper and found that other primers (ie mainly Feds.) did raise the chamber pressure.---17gr was right @ 10,000 and 18gr --11000 with Rems.--- As noted this was an IMR guide so would have been with IMR 700X, don't know how close this data would be if you have\are using current Hodgens 700X version. Ross Puls

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Call Hodgen? Why didn,t I think of that. Called them and spoke to Mike. He said that he had no cross reference for a RXP12 to a FIG.8 or the other way around. He said it might work ok but he wouldn,t say to do it. That was using 700X. Slide Action I want to use a RXP12 in place of a FIG.8 Not a FIG.8 in place of a RXP12
oops,Yes I see that now. The data in my old loading guide shows 17gr. of 700-x for 1150 FPS and 18 gr. for 1200. The old RPXs were used in the Premier and Blue Magics and that data should change over to the STS or Gun Clubs but that would be a "guess" and I don't know of any cross over data that was published. I can mail you the load guide page if you like. It shows the data for the RXP wads but they didn't have STS hulls back then. When the STS hulls came out Remington told me the data for the "HULLS" was the same so I am assuming that would relate to the wads also but, like I said, that's an "assumption" and it wouldn't be published data. You would be on your own loading it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts