Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
96E451E0-4FAE-4844-B5B9-D80D84E93E87.jpeg
C9E72051-D396-4714-ACA7-B400E62AA8D5.jpeg
I have a Lee load all that was given to me along with 1k Rem gun club hulls & 1k Rem power Piston wads. 1 1/8. I was told it was set up for these two components using WW452AA powder and Winchester 209 primers. I’ve loaded several boxes of 25 and have shot them with success. I only have an old shotgun reloading book from late 70’s- early 80’s. It does not list my combination of Hull, wad, powder & primer combo. Any new book I’ve seen or online information does not list it because WW452AA s no longer produced. I probably have enough powder left for a few hundred more. Before I proceed I wanted to check with all of you experts here?!?! To make sure it’s a safe combination.

So then the next step when I run out of WW452AA....., I have several pounds of Red Dot with win 209 primers Gun Club Hulls and power piston 1 1/8 wads. Can anyone help find a recipe for this combo too!

Appreciate any and all help, suggestions and data!
Ned in NY

Want to use what I have before buying more.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Gun club hulls superceded the Remington SP and RXP hulls for which there is 452 AA data.
So...you are taking a leap of faith that these hulls deliver similar pressure levels to those old hulls.
Reloading books all say "do not substitute components".

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
According to what I have read RXP, Premier, STS , Nitro, Gun Club, Field and Clay load all the same.
Always thought that SP hulls had a taller basewad like the ones in my basement.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
The problem will be in finding data using Red Dot with a Win primer in a Rem hull. Alliant data does not include many loads using a primer made by a company other than the maker of the hull. Most of the Red Dot/Rem hull loads you will see use Rem primers (very expensive compared to the Win primers). The other problem will be finding data for those older Rem power piston wads. I would stack one up against a newer Figure 8 and see what the differences are. But, I agree with mg1polo, use no more than 18 gr. of Red Dot when you run out of the WW452AA. You likely will have to get a different powder bushing, if you don't already have one, when you do.

·
Premium Member
6,007 Posts
View attachment 1657975 View attachment 1657977 I have a Lee load all that was given to me along with 1k Rem gun club hulls & 1k Rem power Piston wads. 1 1/8. I was told it was set up for these two components using WW452AA powder and Winchester 209 primers. I’ve loaded several boxes of 25 and have shot them with success. I only have an old shotgun reloading book from late 70’s- early 80’s. It does not list my combination of Hull, wad, powder & primer combo. Any new book I’ve seen or online information does not list it because WW452AA s no longer produced. I probably have enough powder left for a few hundred more. Before I proceed I wanted to check with all of you experts here?!?! To make sure it’s a safe combination.

So then the next step when I run out of WW452AA....., I have several pounds of Red Dot with win 209 primers Gun Club Hulls and power piston 1 1/8 wads. Can anyone help find a recipe for this combo too!

Appreciate any and all help, suggestions and data!
Ned in NY
It's hard to tell for sure in the bags so can you take one or two of the wads out to verify what you actually have and take a pic? I'm presuming they're unopened bags but you didn't say.

So are you wanting published load for Red Dot, presumably an RXP12, win 209 and 1.125 oz of shot in a Gun Club? It's alittle late to be concerned about the 452 if your already loading and shooting it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's hard to tell for sure in the bags so can you take one or two of the wads out to verify what you actually have and take a pic? I'm presuming they're unopened bags but you didn't say.

So are you wanting published load for Red Dot, presumably an RXP12, win 209 and 1.125 oz of shot in a Gun Club? It's alittle late to be concerned about the 452 if your already loading and shooting it.
Not really worried about using the WW452AA as that is what the reloaded was set up with to reload Remington hulls, Rem RXP12 PP 1 1/8 Hulls and WW209 primers. Unfortunately I’m running out of 452 and it not made anymore. I do have two canisters of RED DOT that I would like to reloading with the above components. Here is a better picture of the exact wads I’m using. (Rem RXP12 1 1/8 oz power Piston) yes I would love a published load for the above with Red Dot. Thanks
B4C745A7-C2BC-4323-B605-0A2BAC27EDBC.jpeg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts