Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_20200321_221924824.jpg
I have about 500 Rem Clay and Field Hulls that I was making a 7/8 load with. The load is as follows
Rem C&F Hull
Win 209
18.0 grns Clays
DownRange DRXXL-Pink wads
Mec 9000g press

The C&F hulls are giving me fits on getting a consistent crimp. I had just finished loading some 1 ounce and had a fair amount of adjustment to get the C&F hulls to finish crimp decent. The picture shows the first five shells with a crimp way too deep. (They are in the upper left)
I backed off the crimp and ran the next fifteen. (shown in the upper right.) There is a small space between the first fifteen shells run and the last ten.
I cranked down the pre-crimp a half turn and ran the next 25 shown in the lower right along with the final ten that are just above them. I am not happy with the finished results. Too many shakers (holes in the center that are big enough to lose shot). This is the order that the came off the press. Left to right in rows of five.
Finally I ran twenty five using mutli-fired Nitros. Finally a good looking shell. A few very small holes in the center and a few swirls in the middle. Nitro's are obviously in the lower left.

Here are the questions:
1.) Is this the best I can expect from the C&F hulls. Anyone use them?
2.) Is the quality control on the hull length that much better with Nitro's?
3.) Is there a way to get a better crimp using the C&F hulls.

Thanks for your assistance.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I reload American Clay and Fields (ACF) interchangeably with (mostly) Gun Clubs. I don't load 7/8 ounce shells, however - my mix is about 80% 1 oz loads and 20% 1 1/8 oz. The only things I change are the load bar and the wad - no pre-crimp or final crimp die height changes between ACFs and Gun Clubs or between the different weights. If there is any wad pressure, it is very, very slight.

I've been using a MEC Grabber until I recently acquired a 9000 - I get excellent results with both machines. The Gun Clubs seem to have a little more variation in overall length than the ACF hulls - I'll get the occasional pinhole and the occasional swirl, but I generally get a very consistent crimp and a great looking reload.

My usual recipe is:
Remington Gun Club or American Clay and Field Hull (with the occasional STS, Nitro and Win AA)
Winchester 209 primer
Claybuster CB1100-12 wad (for 1 ounce)
19 grains Alliant Green Dot
1 ounce Northwestern Magnum #8 shot

This is an Alliant 'book' load yielding about 1,200 fps and 7,500psi. The book calls for a Remington primer - virtually unavailable where I live - but the Alliant expert told me that they allow substitution of a Winchester primer when the pressure is between 6,500 and 8,500 psi.

To address your questions:
1. I find the ACF's to load really well. Once you get a load dialed in, I suspect you'll get consistent, excellent results.
2. I don't know if Nitro or STS hulls have better quality control or more consistent overall length. I do find that the ACF's are more consistent than Gun Clubs, so maybe the pricier shells have even better QC than the ACF hulls.
3. Perhaps a bulkier powder would give a better stack height than you're getting with Clays. Are you using any wad pressure?

Hope that helps somewhat - I'm sure folks who have many decades more experience than I do will weigh in with some great suggestions!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I just loaded over 500 12 ga C&F hulls with a 1 oz load using American Select and WAA12SL wad. The thing that amazed me was in all those hulls I have just one funky crimp! Others were perfect using the same settings as my STS and Gun Club hulls.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
same as phatkaw I mix all 4 together , some of the f&g and some gc have a little hole on the middle, the nitros and sts are perfect
17 gr promo
1 oz reclaimed
win primer
claybuster fig 8
mec 9000

·
Premium Member
11,844 Posts
I use Nitro hulls, STS hulls, Gun Club hulls, American Clay & Field hulls, and those new blue hulls Remington started making last summer, which I LOVE.

They all reload about the same in my reloaders, though the hull length tends to vary a bit, and sometimes I have a little hole in the crimp. Only sometimes.

Reactions: Spanky and acorange

·
Premium Member
5,716 Posts
The phenomenon you are experiencing is due to inconsistent hull length. The hulls that are not fully closing on the crimp are shorter than the others. A couple of things you might do. First, cull a handful of short ones and adjust your crimp starter downward until the hole closes up. From now on, the short ones will close and the long ones will have a bit of a "swirl" to the crimps (cosmetic only, does not effect performance). Or, you could just sort your hulls into short and long batches and adjust the crimp starter when you switch from one to the other. Rem hulls are famous for having inconsistent hull length.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
nope claybuster cb118-12, been using them for 1 oz loads for years, I use zero wadd pressure, and everything stacks nicely

·
Registered
686 Posts
I use all of the Remington hulls interchangeably with my favored 1 oz load being:

Win 209 Primer
1 oz West Coast
17.2 grains Clay Dot
Green Duster Wad
MEC Grabber

Once in a great while I'll have a pin hole in the crimp of a Gun Club hull, but not enough for any shot leakage.

·
Premium Member
8,253 Posts
nope claybuster cb118-12, been using them for 1 oz loads for years, I use zero wadd pressure, and everything stacks nicely
Interesting, you stated that you use a figure 8 wad. You then say that you use
the claybuster CB118-12, which is a copy of the Winchester WAA12.
Which is nothing like a Remington Fig. 8.
MG

·
Registered
491 Posts
Bought some a few years ago. Probably have a few reloaded 5-6 times. Load nicer than GC in my experience.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I use Nitro hulls, STS hulls, Gun Club hulls, American Clay & Field hulls, and those new blue hulls Remington started making last summer, which I LOVE.

They all reload about the same in my reloaders, though the hull length tends to vary a bit, and sometimes I have a little hole in the crimp. Only sometimes.
Blue Hulls? What?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I finished the last of the 7/8 wads and switched over to one ounce loads. Same powder charge but using a TGT12 Clone wad. Crimp was much better overall. The load was starting to tent just a bit. I plan to pitch the hulls that had the biggest holes in the crimp, and work with the rest. I will pitch about 50 hulls out of 500 or so.

Thanks to all for the assistance.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
The ammo is the same as Gun Clubs internally, but the hulls are smooth and blue.

Peters Premier Blue Field & Target
I still have some of the older Blue Magic’s. Blue with the smooth hull body. Heck an old timer back in the 80’s gave me a $pot full when I first started reloading. Then the RXP Green weenies hit. Those hulls also were the best quality hull Remmy put out. They reloaded halfway to forever.

I might look for that newer Blue Peters. For S & G’s I’d like to try to reload them. Most likely the base is washed steel and looks brass.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts