Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
My daughter shot one her first year of trap shooting. Shot her first 25 straight with it at 12 years old. We put a bear tooth comb pad on it to get her eye up to the rib. Very solid and reliable gun. As she gained interest in handicaps and doubles, I felt she was at a disadvantage with it. Otherwise she would still be shooting it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My daughter shot one her first year of trap shooting. Shot her first 25 straight with it at 12 years old. We put a bear tooth comb pad on it to get her eye up to the rib. Very solid and reliable gun. As she gained interest in handicaps and doubles, I felt she was at a disadvantage with it. Otherwise she would still be shooting it.
I have a 10 yr old GD that wants to start shooting with PaPa so I thought this would be good for her.
Good point about the comb pad thanks. Was wondering about the recoil for her. It has a nice vented pad. She’s not a big 10 yr old but not tiny either.
Thx.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I found a used mec 8567 and loaded her 3/4oz to get started. But when she shot sctp the club provided 7/8oz. She never complained about the recoil even tho the vented butt pad was pretty hard on hers.

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Yes in the process now of finding a new reloader. Have a Mec 9000 now. Are they still good machines. Bought mine yrs ago.
The 9000 is a fine reloader. Is it 12 or 20 gauge? I haven't checked into changing gauges on a 9000. I just have one in every gauge. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I
The 9000 is a fine reloader. Is it 12 or 20 gauge? I haven't checked into changing gauges on a 9000. I just have one in every gauge. :)
It is a 12 need a 20. Don’t know either if you could change over. Will probably buy a new one easier to just slide the chair over. Lol.

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
12,070 Posts
Thanks Jeff but don’t want to take a chance getting banned again. I like this site everyone has been very helpful answering all my trap questions.
The Reloader for Youth Program is looked upon positively by the online staff, so if you get me a picture, we might be able to do something for you and your grand daughter.

·
Registered
175 Posts
H
A picture of her in your reloading room would work as well.
Thanks so much. I’ll see what I can do. They visit pretty often. We just built a new home in the foothills so still getting things in place storage cabinets first. Bench next. When she was smaller she loved to pull the handle on the press, under supervision of course.

A
H

Thanks so much. I’ll see what I can do. They visit pretty often. We just built a new home in the foothills so still getting things in place storage cabinets first. Bench next. When she was smaller she loved to pull the handle on the press, under supervision of course.
Also Jeff I’m able to purchase a new reloader, would not want to take away from someone that needs help with one.

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
12,070 Posts
Also Jeff [Joe] I’m able to purchase a new reloader, would not want to take away from someone that needs help with one.
Gotcha. The one I gave you the link for isn't getting much interest, so don't feel you're taking anything from anybody. We would appreciate donations to the program in terms of reimbursement for shipping expenses and buying new parts for the next machine. If you'd care to input into the program, anything is welcome.

Joe

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gotcha. The one I gave you the link for isn't getting much interest, so don't feel you're taking anything from anybody. We would appreciate donations to the program in terms of reimbursement for shipping expenses and buying new parts for the next machine. If you'd care to input into the program, anything is welcome.

Joe
Understood will see what I can do.

·
Registered
848 Posts
When my 110# wife started shooting at age 65 it was with a 20ga Browning O/U I had bought her for skeet. She just changed the chokes and started shooting. In short order she was in the 20s - 22 - 23. Then one of the knuckle heads in the shotgun room told her she HAD to shoot a 12ga if she wanted to get any good. I'm out another grand or so buying her a BT-99. She was doing just fine with that 20ga.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts