Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 1100 to do a little fantasy-indoor gun pointing due to
sub-zero temperature in Chicago. When I pulled back the bolt it snapped forward again, and continued to do that. It appeared the disconnector wasn't engaging
the interceptor latch on the inside the receiver. I pulled the trigger assembly
and put a little outward bend on the end of the disconnector. That worked fine and the bolt stays locked back.

Problem is that if I close the bolt, pull the trigger
to uncock the hammer, put a shell in the magazine, and pull the bolt back, the shell loads onto the carrier, but the bolt stays back, instead of going forward to push the shell into the chamber. I checked the interceptor latch and it appears to be working correctly.

I thought by manually pulling back the bolt with the hammer uncocked, I was
duplicating what would happen when I fired the gun, and my conclusion was
that the bolt wouldn't close. Is there something else that would occur when the
gun was actually fired that isn't happening when I manually pull the bolt back?

I can't fire the gun because I'm not where I can discharge a firearm.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
My 1100 bolt won't stay open if the gun has not fired a shot. I don't know why, it just won't. Put a live shell in it, pull the trigger, bingo! the bolt will stay open... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
This is the way most 1100s act. The shell from the magazine has to come back with lots of force to trip the bolt. You can sometimes get it to work manually, but you have to pull the bolt back with LOTS of speed, to get the gun to cycle without shooting it. Only try this with an aluminum snap cap/training round, not a live shell. Mark

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Some do and some don't. I have one of each sitting in my office right now. It has to do with the trigger group in the gun. This was the topic of a long thread on Shotgunworld a while back. see link above. Mark

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I expected that if the hammer had dropped and there was a shell in the magazine - as it would be when a shot was fired -something had to keep the bolt from staying open when it was pulled back. Otherwise, it's a single shot gun.

What keeps the bolt open anyway? And what releases it?

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
The shell is released from the magazine by the feed latch. when it flies back it hits the bolt release that's at the back of the feed ramp. There is a little rectangular hole the other piece has to fit in. Sjometimes they pop out and have to be reinserted. I have on out of 8 1100's that does that.

I suspect that's where your problem lies since the external bolt release works for you.

HM

·
Registered
507 Posts
"My 1100 bolt won't stay open if the gun has not fired a shot. I don't know why, it just won't".

"This is the way most 1100s act. The shell from the magazine has to come back with lots of force to trip the bolt".

"Some do and some don't. I have one of each sitting in my office right now".

"If your 1100 is 12 gauge this is normal for it...."

All I can politely say is: "WOW"!

Let me assure you, all properly functioning Remington model 1100 shotguns will reliably stay open if you pull the bolt back. There is no need to ram it back forcefully, or fire a shot.

An easy "Try" would be a different, currently functioning 1100 trigger. If it still doesn't work then from what I've read... maybe it's the carrier latch itself. When all else fails... see a gunsmith.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
This is the problem the OP is talking about. "Problem is that if I close the bolt, pull the trigger to uncock the hammer, put a shell in the magazine, and pull the bolt back, the shell loads onto the carrier, but the bolt stays back, instead of going forward to push the shell into the chamber. I checked the interceptor latch and it appears to be working correctly."

The situation I am talking about is after the trigger has been pulled, and there is another shell in the magazine. Say, if you have a misfire, the shell doesn't go off, and you want to unload that shell and load the next shell in the chamber, some 1100s will load the next shell when you pull back on the bolt handle, and some 1100s will lock the bolt back when you pull the handle. This situation also comes up in 3 gun competition, when you are expected to start with an empty chamber and shells in the magazine. To load the first shell, shooters want to be able to rack the bolt and load the shell into the chamber without having to press the bolt release. The older triggers don't do this, but the newer triggers do. I own multiple 1100s/11-87s and have trigger groups that act both ways. They both function correctly, but differently. Mark

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dick;
Haven't seen you in a while. I have to agree with Thor5 and ShooterR.
The bolt should stay open.
Cycle of operation problems can be maddening on 1100's as we are so used them functioning flawlessly.
I have had a few high mileage guns with the plastic trigger housing that have had excessive play in the pivot pin for the carrier that have caused this.
Hope this Helps;
Chuck

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for guidance. I'm reassured that the gun will function properly when I'm able to get out and shoot it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The OP's first 2 sentences are: "I picked up my 1100 to do a little fantasy-indoor gun pointing due to sub-zero temperature in Chicago. When I pulled back the bolt it snapped forward again, and continued to do that". Then he bent the disconnector, and then the bolt stayed open.

In the second paragraph, the gun seemed to developed a problem with the bolt staying open. The "standard operating procedure" at this point would be to press the carrier release button on the bottom. However... it seems like the OP thought that just the presence of a shell on the carrier would cause it to close. To do that the shell needs to hit the carrier latch with enough force to disengage it from the carrier tab. If your carrier latch is bent (usually caused by letting the hammer hit it when the trigger is out of the gun and the trigger is pulled) that can cause the bolt not to close.

Trying a "known to work" trigger may solve the problem. In any case... it just needs a little fine tuning to make it work. 1100's are very tough and reliable guns. I hope you get yours working.

All clubs that host ATA events have an "ACTIONS OPEN OR OUT" policy, for safety reasons. Some of the above posters would be advised to get theirs fixed.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The gun likely need have the carrier latch replaced because as stated in an earlier post it was likely shot [had the trigger pulled] when the trigger assy was out of the action and the small tab on the carrier latch was bent as a result. The angle of that tab is critical to proper feeding & operation. Trying to bend it back to the original factory angle is futile as the metal is quite hard, so it will either not bend or it will break. Once that tab is bent, the only effective remedy is to replace it & then remember NOT to pull the trigger on an out of the gun action w/o first being sure you can control the hammer's fall, so that it does not hit the carrier latch tab w/any force.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts