Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to autoloaders and recently purchased a used 1100. I'm planning on cleaning it this weekend and wondered how to properly perform a function check once it is put back together.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Best suggestion i have would becto watch videos available on youtube. 1100 s ar pretty straightforward[/QUOTE My experience and that of my 2 sons ( we shoot 5 different 1100s, 3 of which are LT-20s) is to really give the gun a good cleaning depending on the shotshell round count. We don't shoot the 1100s on clays but hunt with them in the west and they can get pretty gunky in the receiver just by carrying them in the dusty field. Follow the on-line disassembly inst's. I would would remove the forearm and stock. Remove the entire trigger group, barrel, rings and bolt. Then remove the action ring with its rails that the bolt fits onto and remove the magazine tube internals. All that is left is the receiver. Clean by soaking and scrubbing of all crevices in a parts cleaner. Then take it to a tub and wash and rinse with hot soapy water, rinse with hot water and place on a ironing board and set up a hot air dryer directly on the parts to dry and get good and hot. Then properly lube and reassemble. Should be good for 1 yr. of clay target shooting or every 2 two yrs. of hunting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
+1 for Huntings reply. Also check out Brownells' videos. They have a series on the 1100/11-87 which are very good. Also when knocking out the trigger assembly pins drive them towards the ejection port. Reinsert towards the port as well;.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am new to autoloaders and recently purchased a used 1100. I'm planning on cleaning it this weekend and wondered how to properly perform a function check once it is put back together

Welcome to autoloaders...Love my Rem 1100..this gun keeps me in the game with minimal recoil.
Some very good info has been presented here on this subject. A couple things to add. Your cleaning frequency will depend on how often you shoot and what ammo you use. I find that cheap Winchester (Walmart) 4 to a box are the worst, dirty loads for my gun, gums it up fairly quickly and a big kick.I shoot trap and compete, averaging about 250-300 rounds/wk. I do a simple cleaning(remove barrel, barrel seals,o ring, clean bore) about 1/month. About every 6 mos I do the trigger assembly mechanism cleaning .1x/year do the full disassembly and cleaning. With any of these cleaning, pay attention to your o ring, inspect it for cracks, looseness, replace if necessary. Oh, on your chokes, you may know this, but add a drop of gun grease to the threads when you replace it after cleaning..makes it a bit easier to remove the next time.You can buy o rings at Sportsmans Warehouse, etc..Remington.com is higher.(I keep extra o rings and front and mid beads in my gun bag).Don't get overwhelmed by the cleaning.It sounds like alot but is not once you get the hang of things it is not a big deal. The only failure I have ever had in over 2 years of owing this gun was when I failed to clean the trigger assembly for a long period of time.I cannot say enough good things about this gun.I have shot doubles, sporting clays, trap- all distances and LOVE the ease of handling and dependability.This gun is a real work horse and will do anything you ask it if you take care of it.I just won my third first place ladies in Round Robin this year using this gun, a 25 right of the bat! I have health issues I have to deal with and this gun has enabled me to stay in the game..along with using 1 oz loads.Enjoy and happy shooting!

·
Registered
190 Posts
One reassembly make sure the gas seals are not flipped around plus, rotate the seals so that the splits in the rings are opposite from each other.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Be careful wiping out the inside of the 1100, very sharp edge inside. I cut myself pretty well on mine.

Reactions: 308 and R&R Rancher

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Be careful wiping out the inside of the 1100, very sharp edge inside. I cut myself pretty well on mine.
I think just about every Remington 1100 or 11-87 owner has made at least one fresh blood offering to the Gods of Remington:eek:opps::dangersign:

·
Registered
86 Posts
get a pack of o rings that fit your gun that is a must in every 1100 parts kit with various Rem Oil and Cleaner

they are cheaper at the Fastenal or Parts house and make a day at the range last a whole lot longer and :3some: enjoyable

1 - 13 of 13 Posts