Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Rem 1000 classic trap. I shoot it for doubles only and used my own reloads. Sometimes the ejected hull doesn't make it throught the ejection port. It seems to get hung up on the rim of the hull. Any suggestions or should I have a gunsmith slightly widen the ejection port? Factory ammo ejects O.K.

Al Beggelman

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Before you go messing with the receiver check out your extractor. It could just need cleaning, or replacing? It could also be a gas seal, or a dirty gas port with reduced pressure shells? Or, it could be that you're "light-holding" the gun - letting it come off your shoulder a bit between shots - on occasion?

If it's happening late in your round, it could also just be from shooting a 'dry' action with a dirty burning powder? Lightly wet down the mag tube with CLP or Slip 2000 under the action sleeve and around the gas piston assembly.

In any respect, the receiver port is the last place I'd look. This is the sum total of 46 years of 1100 experience.

IME,
Kip

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Sounds like the problem lies with the pressure and powder charge of your reloads. If you like your reloads and don't want to increase the powder charge you might consider enlarging the two holes in your barrel by one size. You said your gun ejects fine with factory ammo. Start by going up 1 bushing size for your gun powder.
Steve Balistreri

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
The ejection port of the early 1100's were different from 2 3/4" and 3".. Yep.. I lengthened more than a few to shoot 3" shells.. with mag. barrels.. Shy of that.. don't cut the ejection port.. It's worked fine.. just the way it is.. for over 50 years..

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Fix the problem. Enlargening the ejection port is simply a bandaid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.