Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to me 1960's vintage 20g on full size frame, drifted the action return spring pin out w/o issue however to my surprise the spring prefers to stay in the tube. I am very cautious to try wiggling and such with the pin out. Hopefully a common enough issue with a simple enough solution.

Thank You in advance.

Tim

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you, that is what I have done, pushed in to relieve pressure, drifted the retaining pin out, removed screwdriver....however it is hung up on something or the part on the end of the spring is too proud Because I can remove the screw driver and it stays in. Rotated it a little at at a time to find a position it might release, no luck. Pushed it in deep to apply spring pressure and removed screwdriver quickly, still stays in. Look with flashlight and no obvious reason it will not just slide out.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Spray a little oil in the return spring tube and keep turning. You just have some old dried up oil/fouling in there. It will come out.
While beaker100, Doug, is not as well known as Phillip he is as good and experienced!

Between the age, use, grime, crud and burrs you don't want to push down. Just get the screwdriver engaged and turn let the spring pressure do the work of pushing while turning. Some only need a turn or two to be completely freed up and some will act like a long screw. But let the spring be your friend and do not push against it there by cancelling out the benefit of the spring wanting to be freed.

Al

·
Supporting Vendor
6,156 Posts
thank you, that is what I have done, pushed in to relieve pressure, drifted the retaining pin out, removed screwdriver....however it is hung up on something or the part on the end of the spring is too proud Because I can remove the screw driver and it stays in. Rotated it a little at at a time to find a position it might release, no luck. Pushed it in deep to apply spring pressure and removed screwdriver quickly, still stays in. Look with flashlight and no obvious reason it will not just slide out.
You probably created a burr when you "drifted" the pin out. What you should have done is just depress the plug and slide the pin out. Then you can rotate the plug and let it come out.

Reactions: 1964_Superposed

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pin pushed out easy, I should not have said drifted out. I sprayed in Rem Oil and CLP and pulled bolt back to add some pressure and kept turning the stock end with the screw driver and it finally came out but the follower will not and now I can see the issue is that the tube is slightly out of round where the threads end and the pin holes are. Not much but enough. I may try to hone it a tad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts