Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve read lots of threads here and elsewhere about the size of the gas seal O-Ring on Rem. 1100’s. On my Trap model, SN L676XXXV, the suggested o-ring of about 1/16th is too thin, and causes misfires. I haven’t use this shotgun for many years, but I know I changed out the o-ring, but obviously did not use the gum afterwards. I did notice that when slipping the barrel back in place, there was none of the “snugness” between the barrel gas ring and the o-ring that I remembered. Also, when looking at o-rings on-line, some seems noticeable thicker than others.....thoughts?
Lastly, the feed latch (leaf spring piece which holds shells in magazine until ready to feed) cane out when I did a complete tear down of my shotgun. I don’t recall this coming out before, but it’s likely been 30 years since I did a complete tear down. Now I’m struggling to reinstall the latch without a restaking tool...any ideas?
Thanks in advance! I’m really looking forward to getting back into trapshooting and also running my first round of sporting clays!
Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK....my last post mentioned.....
Lastly, the feed latch (leaf spring piece which holds shells in magazine until ready to feed) cane out when I did a complete tear down of my shotgun. I don’t recall this coming out before, but it’s likely been 30 years since I did a complete tear down. Now I’m struggling to reinstall the latch without a restaking tool...any ideas?

Well, I solved it! I positioned the feed latch, inserted the small forward trigger group retention pin, then used a small vise grip with a piece of leather on the outer receiver side to hold the feed latch in place just forward of the original staking notches. Then I supported the outside of the receiver on my work bench, and restaked the latch using a small punch at the edge of the latch’s receiver groove. When I removed the vise grips and trigger group pin, the latch stayed in place, so I quickly replaced the trigger group, replaced the two retention pins, said a Thank You prayer, and called it a day!

Now about that gas seal o-ring......

Mike

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
I bought a Remington replacement o ring from Brownells and it worked perfectly on my sporting 12.

Not sure about exact dimensions but I can imagine different models would have different o rings

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I have already ordered some
o-rings from Brownells and one other source which seemed thicker than the ones I’d seen elsewhere....I’ll let everyone know what I find.
BTW, I can’t find any size difference among o-rings for 12 GA 1100’s.
Thanks! Mike

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I bet the feed latch came out when you punched the trigger group pin out from the right side. If the pins drag on the shell latch, it will pull it out of its staking. Always punch the pins (and reinstall) from the left side. If there is any drag it pushes the feed latch into its staking notches, not out.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
The feed latch also comes flying out if you have the bolt locked back and you remove the pins that hold the trigger group in. Why would anyone do that I don't know but I seemed to accomplish it one time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bet the feed latch came out when you punched the trigger group pin out from the right side. If the pins drag on the shell latch, it will pull it out of its staking. Always punch the pins (and reinstall) from the left side. If there is any drag it pushes the feed latch into its staking notches, not out.
Thanks for the great tip!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have rebuilt half a dozen 1100's in the last year and once I learned how to tig weld I started putting a few small tacks (2 on bottom and one on top) instead of staking them in. It never comes loose and if for any reason the feed latch finger breaks, a light hit with a dremel on the tacks and the feed latch can be removed. Not for everyone, but has worked great for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys! I have already ordered some
o-rings from Brownells and one other source which seemed thicker than the ones I’d seen elsewhere....I’ll let everyone know what I find.
BTW, I can’t find any size difference among o-rings for 12 GA 1100’s.
Thanks! Mike
The Brownell o-ring is the same 1/16” thickness, didn’t cause any snug fit when barrel installed, and the gun failed to cycle properly. Looking at other possibilities including a thicker o-ring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Brownell o-ring is the same 1/16” thickness, didn’t cause any snug fit when barrel installed, and the gun failed to cycle properly. Looking at other possibilities including a thicker o-ring.
Tried two other sources and all are the same 1/16” thickness....next try is to double up on the o-rings as mentioned in the above reply.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK....here’s where I stand now with my cycling problem.....
Just put the 1100 back together and did a double check of several areas...
The interceptor latch seems fine; no chips, breaks, or looseness to itself or its spring and retainer.
The magazine tube, inside and out, is clean, and the spring seems strong and clean.
The link has no chips, breaks, or significant wear issues, and I’ve cleaned and lubed the recoil spring, tube, and follower.
The carrier latch has no significant wear, and seems to be functioning properly.
The feed latch is solid, with no chips or breaks, and also seems to be operating properly.
As mentioned above, I’ve doubled up on the o-rings for the next test session. BTW, I bought a much thicker o-ring at Home Depot, but the gun wouldn’t dry fire after installation; likely because the barrel may not have been fully seated due to the rings thickness.
I’ll try the gun again later today, and will try to better document any failures.
Thanks for all your tips!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to Scott’s suggestion I inspected my extractor...it was broken!!! What a knucklehead I am to miss that!!!

THANKS SCOTT!!!

Mike

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Here's a tip about the feed latch. .... When you're staking the feed latch on your 1100 what you're also doing when you tighten the screw is bending the side of the receiver. ....
What screw? My staking tool fits inside the receiver, and a hammer blow to the external part of the tool does the staking. No way to bend the receiver inward causing an interference with the trigger group.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
My staking tool fits inside the receiver, and a hammer blow to the external part of the tool does the staking.
I have this type also. It helps to have 2 people to run it ! (need three hands)... lol

1100 staking tool 022.JPG

* Dick, how's the new Release trigger ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts