Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have reloads that do everything you want or need, and you feel with the components you use are about equal to the good stuff and better than the cheap stuff, do you still buy AA's, STS's and Federal Grands when the are on sale or give rebates ? How about when Gun Clubs go below $5 ?

·
Premium Member
8,267 Posts
If you have reloads that do everything you want or need, and you feel with the components you use are about equal to the good stuff and better than the cheap stuff, do you still buy AA's, STS's and Federal Grands when the are on sale or give rebates ? How about when Gun Clubs go below $5 ?
I buy all my Handicap Shells.
AA's or Nitro27's.
I never buy or shoot any other store bought. All my reloads & lots of them.
MG

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Think like this, $8 for premium, $2 rebate takes it down to $6.
Sell your hulls for .04 cents each, that’s another $1 off a box.
So in essence you can shoot premium shells, $5 a box, thats pretty close to what the cheap ones are.
I shoot new shells, mostly AA’s with some Remington and Federal from time to time.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I like using my reloads for singles and first shot of doubles.
In fact, I shot my first 100 straight in the singles using my reloads. I buy premium shot shells for second shot in Doubles and the Handicap event. If I could get premium shot: ie : STS, I would shoot reloads for everything..... Except where prohibited.Lester

·
Administrator
8,591 Posts
For me there are times when my work schedule does not allow for time to reload so I do keep a stock of Remington STS 1 1/8 8 shot lite targets around along with Remington Lite Handicap 8s. So with that being said I have really been trying to keep a Monday or Tuesday nite free to reload as I enjoy it and get what I feel are good results out of my reloads.

If I can I shoot all reloads esp. my first shot of doubles where I like to load a 7/8 or 8.5s . This is a low recoil load and gets the job done on the first bird.

·
Registered
338 Posts
So in essence you can shoot premium shells, $5 a box, thats pretty close to what the cheap ones are.
I shoot new shells, mostly AA’s with some Remington and Federal from time to time.
Unfortunately, the rebates are for a limited amount of shells one time per year.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nobody is buying hulls for $.04.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm pretty much on reloads these days and feel confident enough in them now I can duplicate my favorite factory loads (though still relatively new to reloading) but whenever I find a sale on nitros or AA's I jump all over them, I've also had luck finding new ammo at gunshows...picked up a flat of brass based GC's for $40 this weekend, and buy up good reloadable new old stock single boxes here and there for $3-$4 a box

·
Premium Member
8,267 Posts
I'm pretty much on reloads these days and feel confident enough in them now I can duplicate my favorite factory loads (though still relatively new to reloading) but whenever I find a sale on nitros or AA's I jump all over them, I've also had luck finding new ammo at gunshows...picked up a flat of brass based GC's for $40 this weekend, and buy up good reloadable new old stock single boxes here and there for $3-$4 a box
The brass colored gun clubs are NOT brass. They are steel. The only Brass Remington Hulls are the STS & Nitro 27's
MG

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
I buy new shells. I should say I collect new shells. I shoot my reloads unless I get so busy I don't have time to load. That said, I always have a substantial amount ahead for handicap and if I shoot new anywhere it will be 16's and doubles.

I am convinced that I can load a better shell that the factory. The SD's on my handicap bullets is a 5 (authentic testing).

1 - 20 of 68 Posts