1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Back in the day with the guys I loaded
a Gold Medal
12S3 or clone
19.5 Green Dot

That's my standard load. Learn it, Lead with it, and took some winnings with it.

DGH

·
Registered
864 Posts
Don't believe anything you read here , he's a sneaky Devil in disguise . you can tell by his forum name !
Well...all i know is my Fed Papers...with Unique ...and #6 shot...have paid for numerous kegs of powder and i can not recall how many adult beverages after a day of shooting...just saying

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Back in the Day.
Hull Win AA
Primer Win
Powder 571 max load
Wad Red Winchester
Shot 1 1/2oz of 7 1/2 oz shot
This was also my Hungerian Partridge load.
I once bagged four on a Covey rise four shots four birds. How could one not like a 1100

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I quit shooting "games" a few years ago but here is what worked for me.

For the call bird, a new Remington Nitro 27 in 1 1/4 oz. of 7 1/2 at 1235 fps is a good choice. The recoil is firm but not harsh and you can shoot this load all night.

For the second or third shot on "Killers" or "Annies", I reload the equivalent of the old live pigeon load. The recoil is noticeable but not bad and this load will break anything when standing 35 yards behind the house. This load is listed under the Alliant web site and is equivalent to the old live pigeon load.

Once fired Remington STS hull
Remington 209P primer
24.5 grains Alliant Herco powder
Remington SP12 wad
1 1/4 oz. Hornady magnum size 7 shot
1250 fps
9300 psi

For the 4 th shot on "Killers" or "Annies" or back in the parking lot, I use larger shot and a tad more Alliant Herco. Recoil is noticable but not severe. This load is listed under the Alliant web site.

Once fired Remington STS hull
Remington 209P primer
27 grains Alliant Herco powder
Remington SP12 wad
1 1/4 Hornady magnum size 6 shot
1275 fps
10,100 psi

I have tried many other loads over the years. One real simple longer range load is to simply switch to 1 1/8 oz of copper plated magnum size 5 shot in a 3 dram Federal Paper load. This load is listed under the Alliant web site.

Once Fired Federal Paper hull,
Federal 209A primer
21 grains of Alliant Green Dot Powder
Federal 12C1 (if you have any) or Clay Buster 12C1 clone (Red Figure 8) wad
1 1/8 oz Hornady magnum copper plated size 5 shot
1200 fps
7800 psi

Whatever load you use, you have to shoot them enough to be confident in them. You need to shoot them enough to mentally determine your swing speed or lead on distant or wide angle targets. You have to learn to shoot under falling targets.

Beware of the old timer with the well worn Winchester Model 12 using Unique powder. They have probably been at this for a while!

Good luck!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Mg1polo,
Similar load to what I use but with chilled 6s, wwF114 and 31 gr Longshot.
They'll reach out and touch a clay, rabbit, etc.
Used to hunt rabbit without dogs in heavy cover. They'd jump at longer distances.
These loads also work great for games. I've got two boxes left from my last batch run.
George

·
Registered
64 Posts
Fed. plastic Gold Medal, 24.6 gr. 800X, Down Range yellow 1 1/4 wad, 1 1/40z Mag. 5 shot, fed 209a. We shoot from 27 - 50 yds. behind trap house. Pointed correctly, you'll be in the money.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts