Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got a 243 winchester. am wanting to reload some varmit rounds for it. If I can find the components anyone got a load they like to help narrow my search. I was wanting to use hornady V-max bullets. I have some IMR 3031 on hand, which in the IMR recipe gives a little lower top end speed . Also seen varget listed and have always heard good things about. Anyone have any thoughts to share. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You stated you wanted to load varmint loads. I have had good luck with the 65 gr. vmax,
Varget works great for higher velocity. 3031is fine with 75-85 grain bullets and a lower speed.
For flat land coyotes, where they can put 300 yds between you and the truck very fast, you will find the 65 grain bullet and speed is a great combination.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
65-70gr V-Max with Varget if you can find any makes a good round. I have been loading a 204 and experimenting with it in a custom 25/06

·
Registered
182 Posts
My Ruger#1 likes it 60grHP 38.5 IMR3031, bullet seated just off rifling, sub MOA - also mite try this website -AccurateShooter.com - a lot of good info - have fun JM

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks that is what I am looking for. Now I have to find some components. This is for my daughters rifle. It is a savage 111 lady hunter. We have started coyote hunting and she has really taken to it.

·
Registered
764 Posts
H414 and a 70gr Nosler ballistic tip. We started out with 55gr Noslers but the 70 is a little flatter. We are pushing the 70gr around 3970fps and they hit like a freight train. I would steer clear of anything Horady, I have never had luck with any of their stuff, unless you are ok with 2moa groups, I know I will take some heat over that statement, but its the truth with my rifles.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have always heard good things about nosler. After checking around it looks like I will be lucky to find any components to reload with. Most are sold out and on permanent back order.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Just in case you find some Sierra 85 grain HPBTs, try 42.5 grains of Winchester 760 with WLR primers. I have taken deer, coyote and groundhogs with this load. Good Hunting, Ed

·
Registered
329 Posts
I used two different varmint loads in 243.

1) 65 gr. Hornady V-Max with 45 grains of H380. Hodgdon data calls for a muzzle velocity of 3627 fps although I don't recall what velocities I was getting.

2) 55 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip with 51 grains of H380. Hodgdon data calls for a muzzle velocity of 4010 fps for this one and that's the velocities I was getting out of a Remington 700 with a 26" heavy barrel. This load was very accurate, 1/2 inch @ 100 yards in that rifle.

I have since sold the Remington 700 heavy barrel and bought a Remington 700 SPS which has a standard weight 24" barrel. This rifle prefers the 65 gr. V-Max load over the 55 gr. Nosler BT. Both loads are still very accurate, sub MOA when I do my part. I haven't run the loads over my chronograph yet to see what velocity loss I have with the 2" shorter barrel.

I used Varget powder at first but I changed to H380. With H380 I get the same velocity, accuracy, and (being a ball powder) it flows through my powder dump better.

Joe

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
41.7 of Reloder 15 and a 65 gr VMAX, cloverleafs from my 700. You won't find that in any books. I found it works great in the 22-250 also.

HM

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have several good reloading books and Always have the loading guides from the bullet and powder manufacturers.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I rechecked this load Beerking, they were 3470fps average over a 10 round test 47.5gr. of H414 This is the max load listed. They are about 3/4MOA loads for my gun, they shoot great.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Picked up 200 sierra 80 grain SBT varmiters today. Will begetting my dies shortly. I have plenty of IMR 3031 on hand so will start with that. Then move on to another powder when I get the chance.
Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I have never even shot a .243, but do have a Ruger #1B in 6mm Remington. The 6mm has just a little more powder capacity and shoots just a little faster than the .243 according to the reloading manuals. Back in the days when I shot a lot of woodchucks/rockchucks I used to like the 87 grain Hornady hollow point loaded with H380. I also used 60 grain Sierra bullets once or twice but did not find them as accurate in my rifle. Either bullet will leave a pretty big hole in a coyote so expect to ruin the pelt. If you don't want to do that, several manufactures make "solid" bullets to alleviate the problem.

I have shot numerous deer and antelope with the gun using either 95 or 100 grain Nosler Partition bullets with good results.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts