Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Throughout this and other similar sites about reloading, I see two camps. Many folks have given up reloading because shells can be purchased from a store cheaper than the cost of reloading, except for the smaller gauges. And they say they toss the empties as not being worth saving. Then there is another camp of folks offering and buying once-fired hulls for 2-5 cents each.

I'm curious about the division of opinions here. If shells cost more to reload, then why add the additional cost of hulls?

·
Premium Member
5,722 Posts
Many folks have given up reloading because shells can be purchased from a store cheaper than the cost of reloading,
It does not cost more to reload than it does to buy discount priced factory loads. It's just that the small difference between the cost of reloading and the price of some factory loads leads some to conclude it's not worth the effort. Some of those that load believe the comparison between the cost of loading the factory ammo should be to the premium factory loads because reloads are better quality than the inexpensive loads, which typically have soft, chilled shot. Reloads can cost more than factory if components are bought in small quantities from online vendors. The cost of components is significantly less if bought in large quantities from clubs or shoots.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I wanted to load up some light 7/8 oz loads for the kids and asked at the club if anyone had Gun Club hulls. Was given around 3000 by generous folks over the weekend. No need to buy them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Promo trap loads are fine for 16 yard and first shot of doubles. My tailored reloads with hard shot are "top shelf". For example my handicap load with Int. Clays, Fed 209, DR Windjammer clone, and hard 7 1/2's pattern very well for me.

·
Registered
632 Posts
To me the biggest factor in that question is if you already have the equipment or not. I save about $1 per box by loading. If you have to buy a press, scale, bushings etc it will take a while to break even. Of course you can shop around for a good deal on used and it will take less time.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
No amount of cost savings can make reloading worthwhile to you if you do not enjoy it. So, why continually bring up price comparisons? It isn't about saving money. It is about having the kind of shell you want to shoot ALWAYS available at a great price.

·
Banned
933 Posts
I started reloading 12 gauge again because of recent events. Just for something to do while waiting this out. Hanging out in the garage, not watching TV.

·
Registered
58 Posts
For my 28 gauge I definitely save $$. For my 12 and 20 not so much but you can pick better shot, the velocity of shell, payload weight, etc vs promo shells so getting better quality. If you buy premium ammo then you can beat that price as others have said when reloading your own!

Most importantly; I enjoy reloading.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
If shells cost more to reload, then why add the additional cost of hulls?
For me, shells DON'T cost more to reload a QUALITY load, and I've never had to buy an empty hull in my life, and I've probably got more than I can reload in the amount of time I have left.

Anyway, the subject of whether to reload or not has been beaten to death on this site, and what it boils down to is this...to some, reloading makes sense. To others, it doesn't.

There are a LOT of different factors involved in this decision, and it's different for just about everybody.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I am pretty sure when I run out of primers and wads that I am going to quit reloading 12ga. I don't have enough shot, so I will still have to buy some until everything else runs out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I can say that in our area there is no #9 target loads available for a couple weeks now, and being in Ma. nobody will ship any. That said several of the guys who shoot skeet several times a week have no shells ,and they are the very same guys who tell me I waste my time reloading . Now my problem is I havent decided if I want to shoot skeet today with 12 ,20,28 or maybe 410. I have to problem finding shells ,they are right on the bench near my reloaders.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have reloaded for the last 50 years off and on . I now get as much fun out of loading as shooting .my grandson not shooting ata so I load for him and get to watch him learning to love the sport.

·
Premium Member
5,851 Posts
Throughout this and other similar sites about reloading, I see two camps. Many folks have given up reloading because shells can be purchased from a store cheaper than the cost of reloading, except for the smaller gauges. And they say they toss the empties as not being worth saving. Then there is another camp of folks offering and buying once-fired hulls for 2-5 cents each.

I'm curious about the division of opinions here. If shells cost more to reload, then why add the additional cost of hulls?
Where is it stated so prevalently that it costs more to reload (12ga I presume) than to purchase cheap shells? By whom?

If these are folks that by a pound of powder, a couple or three hundred primers, sack of wads and bag of shot at outlets such as Cabela's or such, heck yes it is. Especially if there just throwing together loads just because it's some recipe stated somewhere.

But reloading allows one a host of options for personal preference and gain.

You can customize velocity and weight that's not easily acquired on a retail shelf.

You can obtain quality and perfection in your finished product.

You can obtain significantly better "SD's" which equates to consistency and performance that allows the shooter to perfect their game.

You can realize the additional rush from the accomplishment of the ammo you created that allowed yourself to just break or nearly break a perfect score.

Reloading allows you to have a volume of your favorites sitting beneath your bench, in the garage or wherever you store loaded ammo and/or be ready on a moment's notice to create more.

Reloading allows one to unwind, reflect, solitude,peace, etc.

Reloading allows me to know when I drop the hammer, the next second is about me and pointing the barrel correctly and if properly done, the shell will handle the situation.

I suspect all these so called people saying that it's cheaper to buy new than reload are:

Really not much into the game.

Are lower classes shooters if they shoot registered or lower 20's shooters if league.

Really as a law of averages have poor gun fit, poor fundamentals, and no focus. They rely on verbage versus accomplishments.

Yes I now will and do by GM ribbed hulls. But I have hoarder characteristics and I am afraid that I'll run out before I quit or otherwise never seen a need to.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts