Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to sport, shooting 100 rounds of 12 ga a week. Buying shells at walmart for $22 (100 rounds). Can I save money by reloading? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Nah, just shoot the WalMart stuff if you're fine with standard American loads. The only reason I reload is because it's hard to find affordable int'l. loads in the USA. The cheaper stuff usually runs $75-80 a flat after shipping and I'm not about to pay those prices willingly.

Reloading can be fun, though, so either way it can't hurt. Gives you something to do during the work week while you aren't shooting.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
If you are just shooting 100 per week, it would take you a long time to get a return on investment. You have to find powder, shot, and primers. Depending on where you live depends on what you will find. Then the reloader, there are lots of good used MEC 9000's out there at a good price, but thats a progressive loader, every time you pull the handle you make a shell. Hulls are easy to find for free at your club. You just have to be GOOD quality control. Either you are all in or nothing. For now you should buy low priced target shells, if you get Federal, start saving hulls, they reload very good. Then start finding and pricing all the stuff you need. Good luck, Steve

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Very difficult to load 12ga standard loads and save money. Walmart is selling a box of game loads for $5.00. Of coarse Target loads are a bit more. Why bother?
On the other hand if you want a specialty load that is not available it is great to reload. If you want to load 410 or 28 ga. with factory loads at $10 and up there is plenty money to be saved.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
I have a couple loaders that have not been used in years for regular 12 gauge trap target shells. They did pay their keep when shells were $4.50 and you could reload for right at $2.00. Watching sales you can usually find shells for $5-6 per box. With current component prices costing over $4.50 per box, (not including hulls) I just am not going through the trouble and time for the little savings. In your case you will need a press, a scale, a hand full of bushings, primers, wads, and the time to build up a bunch of quality empties. It will take a long time to even come close to breaking even.

If you want to load premiums like nitro27, you will need premium hard shot, more expensive wads, etc. That will cost more than you can find Federal and Gun Clubs on sale. It generally takes a new guy a long time before his shooting performance is needing premium shells.

Do not buy just what you need every week. You will be a slave to market prices. Try to get 40 or 50 boxes ahead at your house. Then watch sales, if they are a good price, buy as much as you can. When the price is high, use the ones from your stash. Over the course of the year, you will save a lot of money.

·
Registered
32,284 Posts
If you do go into it it can be fun and relaxing, but go slow, read up as much as you can. When it comes to components, shop first, buy later. As to equipment there are some bargains in used equipment as some people are giving it up. Find someone in your shooting circle who is mature that currently reloads. Ask for his help and guidance..

·
Registered
474 Posts
You can save but it isn't much and you have to buy in bulk so it requires a significant upfront cost. Winters are long and cold here so it gives me a project and I already load most everything else that I shoot.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I reload because I enjoy it and have plenty of time on my hands, however, it still cost me around $4.75 per box, which is at least $2.85 less than factory loads of STS or Nitros, which I shoot in tournaments.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I reload because I enjoy it and have plenty of time on my hands, however, it still cost me around $4.75 per box, which is at least $2.85 less than factory loads of STS or Nitros
Same here....I do it just because it is another avenue of our sport that I get to enjoy. I live with 5 women and between Big Brother, Dancing with the stars, soap operas, and all of the other women crap I atleast have a sanctuary I can retreat to in order for me to keep the little voices in my head from taking over that tell me to bad things...lol

I will say that I never reloaded shotshell before and yesterday took my first box of reloads out and shot my first 25 Straight with them. That was a great feeling!!

Yes there is a startup cost but if you plan on staying in this sport then you WILL save in the long run....and have a lot of fun in the process. If you have a shooting bud that reloads...see if he will let you watch it and see if it is something you want to get into.

Reap

·
Registered
11,135 Posts
Bottom Line is its going to cost you a "minimum" of a "thousand dollars" down!!! To save a quarter or two per box.

Still sound good to you now!!!

If so, are you the kind of guy who loves to tinker with stuff??? Who enjoys trying to make things work better??? If so!!! Then, reloading is right up your ally. If you don't like/or hate to tinker around the house, then reloading will be like work, and you will not enjoy doing it, so you will not stick with it for very long. Have Fun and break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I prefer my soft recoil fast reloads to any shell I can buy, including premium shells. But, I do shoot those Cheapo $5.00 shells all the time for practice especially in my Spacegun, as it does not like my reloads, no matter what I do to resize them. I also use them for sporting clays and 5 stand, as I don't like to pick shells up after using my Automatics. To reload and save any money building premium shells you must buy in bulk case (5000) wads, 500+ primers, muli-8lbs kegs of powder, and shot at the best deal you can make. Plus of course, a reloader, scale and misc. tools. 100 shells a week won't justify the upfront cost. 300 shells a week will. I even made my own shot for a few years, that really saved money for reloading. But, gave that up when scrap lead became hard to find. Anyway, after reloading 100's of thousand shells for 40 years, I've enjoyed the ride. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Its going to be an Investment, One that will take time to pay back, Sure you can buy a Lee loader and "make " shells but what's the point of that,

I load because I enjoy doing it, and I load the smaller Gauges where the savings is HUGE so I still load 12 because I have all the equipment.

Its your call if you want a separate outlet tied into shooting,

It is rewarding to use your shells,

Its like buying replacement windows for your house,, It takes a while to see savings

Good Luck,

DGH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts