Trapshooters Forum banner

Reloading Two Different Primers

1587 Views 13 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  bill1064
I now have two different primers to load Chedditte and Nobel. My investigation at this point finds the following:

1. Rem factory primer has a .241 diameter and a .292 length
2. Chedditte reload primer has a .238 diameter and a .290 length

These two are close in size.

3. Nobel reload primer has a .242 diameter and a .302 length

So, if I'm just depriming a first reload, I need to figure out which primer to start with. If I use the Nobel....I'm stuck with that hull being a Nobel primer shell forever as it stretches the primer pocket.

Loading with a Chedditte first may give me an option for another primer IF I could ever find them later on.

Correct?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,340 Posts
Correct. I think Cheddite used to be oversized but I am not finding that to be the case anymore. My biggest complaint for Cheddite is pierced primers in the lower barrel of my Browning Citori O/U's eroding my firing pin. My 1100 eats them up no problem.

· Registered
428 Posts
Correct. I think Cheddite used to be oversized but I am not finding that to be the case anymore. My biggest complaint for Cheddite is pierced primers in the lower barrel of my Browning Citori O/U's eroding my firing pin. My 1100 eats them up no problem.
Do to the primer shortage I switched from win209 to cheddite. On the first batch of AA 20 ga after shooting 75 with K80 found 5 with pierced primers.

Similar results with AA12 shotshell shooting Bunker with DT10. Did not sort and count these. But planning to shoot another 200 today and will report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
199 Posts
I have used 75k Cheddite primers and like them for the way they flow through my MEC 650's and only one failure, but I never did figure out the piercing problem. I used them in STS hulls 1.125/1200 fps handicap loads that very seldom had a pierced primer. In my singles load- 1 oz 1150 fps load in Win hull I had very frequent piercings so switched to Win primers for those. I also shot skeet with the same K80 and 410 and 28 shells with Cheddites would pierce the majority of the time; so used Win primers for sub gauges. I now shoot some sporting clays with a Berretta and use two different loads for 28 ga; Win hulls for one and Cheddite (Rio, B&P, Fiocchi) hulls for the other. I use Cheddite primers in the Cheddite hulls because they fit better but never have the piercing in those. I don't know why some pierce and others don't but just use them in applications where they work better.

· Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Could all these pierced primers be caused by not seating the primer deep enough? It's just strange that some people have problems and some don't. I've gone through over half a million primers, of all kinds, and never had any pierced. All I ever load is RXP, STS, Nitro, and a few Gun Clubs. Could it be Remington hulls are less likely to pierce? Inquiring minds want to know.

· Registered
3,225 Posts
It is said that firing pins that hit primers at an angle [like the Browning Citori] kind of tear or stretch the primer instead of hitting it square. The material used in Cheddites and other Eurotrash primers seem to allow the firing pin to pierce them and allow powder gasses to {over time] erode the face of the firing pin. MY 2 CENTS....

· Registered
1,308 Posts
For some reason, my MEC Automate drops Cheddites just fine, but Winchesters tend to hang up in the tray. And I have never had a single problem with any brand of primer (knock on wood). At one time I'd say I prefer Cheddite, but in this day and age, I prefer any primer I can find.
LOL!
Just the opposite for me.
Cheddites constantly lock up the primer tray feeder arm. Federals do too but not nearly as bad.
Everything else feeds just fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.