Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good turkey load for a 3 1/2" Anybody have hands on experience??
I have all the manuals and load data. Has anybody ACTUALLY loaded any?
Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hello Jim,
Just wondering why you would go through all the trouble? I am an avid turkey hunter and hunt in three states. If I travel by airline, I will take a shot or two to make sure my scope is still adjusted. After that, it is maximum of 3 gobblers in GA, on in PA and two in NY. Not a lot of ammo on a yearly basis.

Doc

·
Registered
128 Posts
Jim probably goes through the trouble because he is a reloader and likes to do things himself. Some of us enjoy reloading and shooting our rounds at game.

As for turkey loads I don't do much or see much need for the 3 1/2 shell, My turkey load is out of the RSI manual which is 1 3/4 ounce of shot in a 3" Federal plastic base wad hull. I am sure like loading a 3" hull 3 1/2" hulls load just like a trap load with maybe a few more steps. I find it kind of fun loading turkey and waterfowl loads where there is a need for adding filler wads and overshot cards. I guess it a little different and slower paced then just cranking out a truck load of trap rounds.

Jim S.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Besides not sure if you need 3.5"'s, I am still uncovienced for need of 3"'s. In fact I am using a 2.75" 20ga for a lot of my turkey hunting.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have used an old model 10 Remington, and loaded 1 3/8 oz #5 shot and used greendot or herco powder, deadly at 40 yd. If you want to shoot over 40 yd I
would recommend 1 1/2 oz heavy shot, deadly to 60yd.My 2 cents worth. Joe

·
Registered
434 Posts
check out Winchester's new turkey loads, their claiming 70 yds, and show results of a pattern, think's called long bear xr...dk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts