Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I load a lot of" one and done" loads. I don't like saving hulls unless they are premium hulls like STS. I have loaded a lot of the hulls from the Walmart 4 packs. These hulls are the same hull as the Federal "Top Guns" and have a paper base wad. They take regular American 209 size primer and I load them with either the 1 oz. "Lightning " wad or the CB 1 oz. 12SO clone. Sadly they are being replaced with a new 4 pack made in France. The new Wally World 4 packs from Federal are a completely DIFFERENT animal. They are the "Euro" design, have a plastic base wad, and if you load them with regular American wads you will get several SOFT loads and may encounter "bloopers". They have a bigger inside diameter and if you do load them you will need a wad designed for them such as the CB 610012 wads. Also a regular size 209 primer will fall out of them. They need to be loaded with an oversize primer such as Nobel Sport or Fiocchi. Just wanted people to know before they try and reload them.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Noble Sport yes, doubt you would have much luck with a Fiocchi primer staying in. RIO primers work great too. These new brass washed Fed hulls are RIO hulls, made on contract from what I hear from reputable sources on other sites. The plastic is a bit softer than that used on the old silver base hulls. But I have not found that they are larger ID hulls.

Are you referring to this Lightning wad 078 Lightning 7/8oz 12ga wad (250/bag)-Ballistic Products ,made for SW hulls

or this one from Claybuster. Windjammer Style
The phrase "Versatile for most hulls depending on powder volume." generally means it is primarily for tapered hulls, but will work in SW hulls.

Some of us have loaded them already and are having no issues, and actually like them better than the old TG hull, but were using SW wads to begin with. These new hulls have a little more inside capacity than the old silver base TG hulls, so this will be another loading issue to consider. The plastic base wad is lower than the old wound paper base wad. Anytime a different looking hull shows up on the range, one should suspect some other slight changes than just cosmetic. I'm sure you did this.

just my two pesos

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I am reloading the Federal Field and Target shells from Walmart with no problems so far.

They have Rio primers in them to start with so that is what primer I am using to reload them with.

The CB6100-12 wads with 1 oz of shot in the Federal Field and Target hulls are making a good looking reload.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Noble Sport yes, doubt you would have much luck with a Fiocchi primer staying in. RIO primers work great too. These new brass washed Fed hulls are RIO hulls, made on contract from what I hear from reputable sources on other sites. The plastic is a bit softer than that used on the old silver base hulls. But I have not found that they are larger ID hulls.

Are you referring to this Lightning wad 078 Lightning 7/8oz 12ga wad (250/bag)-Ballistic Products ,made for SW hulls

or this one from Claybuster. Windjammer Style
The phrase "Versatile for most hulls depending on powder volume." generally means it is primarily for tapered hulls, but will work in SW hulls.

Some of us have loaded them already and are having no issues, and actually like them better than the old TG hull, but were using SW wads to begin with. These new hulls have a little more inside capacity than the old silver base TG hulls, so this will be another loading issue to consider. The plastic base wad is lower than the old wound paper base wad. Anytime a different looking hull shows up on the range, one should suspect some other slight changes than just cosmetic. I'm sure you did this.

just my two pesos
The Fioochi primers I am referring to are the old 686 ( sorry ,I showed have been more specific), which is oversize and larger than a standard 209 primer. Rio and Nobel Sport fit the hull fine.The wad that works best is the "NOT "the lighting wad. That one works but is still a tad loose in the hull and may allow powder blow by . The best wad for them is the CB 6100-12 That wad is made "specifically" for the Rio and Euro style Hulls. The Euro hulls are not just straight wall hulls. They are straight wall with a slightly larger internal diameter.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
You must be related to a gent by the screen name of ravenanme on the OTHER forum, being the only two people anyone knows who can shrink the size of a primer hole with a Supersizer.

I'm glad it's working for ya, but dunno how.

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
IMO, just because a shell can be reloaded doesn't mean it should be.

Many of the so called "bargain" shells are cheap promotional loads where the hulls were never designed to be reloaded.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
IMO, just because a shell can be reloaded doesn't mean it should be.

Many of the so called "bargain" shells are cheap promotional loads where the hulls we never designed to be reloaded.
That may well be, but many do and do it with good results. And can you imagine what you might be paying for the much sought after STS, Premier, et al., if all reloaders were cabbaging up all these hulls. The demand would make those hulls almost as high as a loaded round. You should be thanking all those who load SW or Euro hulls. :1augen68::1augen68::1::1:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts

The Federal Field and Target hulls reload great with my Mec Grabber. Quite a few of the guys at our little Trap and Skeet Range are shooting them and giving me the empties. It didn't take long to get about 6,000 of them. I plan on reloading them just one time.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I have loaded several boxes just to see how they work and they reload and shoot just fine. I use FIO 616 primers and load data for the Federal Gold Medal hull. I reloaded one batch 4 times just to see how they worked....... No issues at all. I load 1 1/8 oz and tried loads with both Green Dot and Vectan AS. Larry

·
Banned
715 Posts

The Federal Field and Target hulls reload great with my Mec Grabber. Quite a few of the guys at our little Trap and Skeet Range are shooting them and giving me the empties. It didn't take long to get about 6,000 of them. I plan on reloading them just one time.
Bob I haven't had luck with these hulls , IF , they don't show memory in the crimp ! There're about 4 in this picture with smooth mouth openings with NO crimp lines , I throw these away
as they don't crimp well for me . My loaded hulls look like yours but I do run'em through the Gaep finishing tool which really rounds the nose and sets the wad pressure where I like it !
As I use these hulls for my Pigeon Loads......They're Great pitch loads . I also use these hulls for my Steel Shot and HW 13 Waterfowl loads as they are so abundant at the range !

·
Registered
18,666 Posts
Nitro 27 hulls often blow round like that. I just chalked it up to a soft batch of plastic that week. Set them aside and used care when crimp starting and they were not bad at all. They blew round the next firing as well ...

·
Banned
715 Posts
I tried Cheddites. They fell right out of these copper washed Rios.
Mike B
Well I tried resizing these New Fed hulls in my 9000 G and I agree it doesn't shrink the primer pocket.....But , I took the same 1/2 doz hulls and Super Sized them , Bingo ,
the Cheddite primers go in nice and Snug . I'll just keep doing what I've been doing on my Mec 600 , depriming first , so I can use Cheddite primers........Not saying I won't
use Bob's advise about the Rio primers !

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Bob I haven't had luck with these hulls , IF , they don't show memory in the crimp ! There're about 4 in this picture with smooth mouth openings with NO crimp lines , I throw these away
as they don't crimp well for me . My loaded hulls look like yours but I do run'em through the Gaep finishing tool which really rounds the nose and sets the wad pressure where I like it !
As I use these hulls for my Pigeon Loads......They're Great pitch loads . I also use these hulls for my Steel Shot and HW 13 Waterfowl loads as they are so abundant at the range !
Thanks for the tip on tossing the round hulls with no crimp memory. It's not like these hulls are hard to find right now.

Over half the guys at our little trap range are shooting the Federal Field and Target shells now and they dump them in a box for me. Now I need to find some more re-loaders that want to trade away their Rio Primers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts