Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reloading supplies, I

I have sat back all year long watching the threads on here about shortages, and the high prices of reloading components.

Throughout the years I have seen Many, many shooters reloading, and now I have seen less and less.

My confusion comes from the fact that supplies seem to now be hard to find, although there are less shooters reloading. I would have thought the shelves would be full of components at a cheaper price. Instead they are pretty empty, and when there is something, the price is out of sight..I know, priced for the limited supply, and high demand now from those who are still loading.

Is this shortage a government caused deal or what ??? I just don't know !

Does anyone have the real answer as to why we have a tough time finding powder and premium primers anymore ? My thing about loading is like building a car or machine...One bolt back ordered, the line shuts down. Same as with a shortage of prowder or primers.

Dave

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks Mike,

I didn't know about the nitroglycerin shortage.

Any idea as to why this shortage ? Government regulations ? Just wondering.

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check out the latest issue of American Rifleman, which has the industry explanations on this subject. It is more complex than one thinks.
Gary

·
Banned
302 Posts
It's the age old Supply and Demand principle.....

Supply has been reduced.... Demand remaining constant would have outstripped supply and we would have inevitably seen a slight increase in prices.. The "Hoarders" and "entrapnuerial capitalists" (aka gougers) added to the increased demand driving prices even higher. Hence here we are. Downward price pressure will happen when the demand lessens, the supply increases, and/ or both..... Word is that supply is projected to return to normal when capacity to produce increases some time in 2014, until then here we are.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
We the shooter is the primary source of the shortage problem if you view beyond our liberal government as the true root cause. For the record though, you go to a store to buy a box of 9mm, only to learn there are no 9mm on the shelf. Instead, they do have some 40 caliber. You remove from the shelf every box. The next person comes in and wants to buy 40 caliber, but there is no 40 cal. So, you remove from the shelf all the 22-250. The next person: you get the point. We shooters have gotten scared that there won't be any, couple that with the hoarders, and you have a major shortage of ammo all across the country. Manufactures cannot keep up nor can the raw material producers keep up with this kind of demand. Shelves are just now beginning to see some inventory. As for our shot gun reloading component shortages, same type of problem. Manufacturers are consuming the powder and primers and not leaving much of anything to the reloading shelves. All major reloading supply houses are not getting anything.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I think it's mostly caused by the "hoarders" and "gougers", OTOH part of the problem is I think the HazMat fee thing? $35 "hazmat" on powder and/or primers, when you order you're gonna' order all you can get on one hazmat fee. Had a hell of a time last fall finding Remington 209P primers so when Gamaliel got some in and had 'em on sale I ordered four cases (that's 20,000 primers, prob'ly at least a 2 or 3 year supply for me). $35 hazmat fee is the same whether you order 4 cases or just 1, or one carton or one box for that matter. Powder is the same, why order just 1 eight pound jug when you can spread the hazmat fee cost out by ordering 4 jugs at a time.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I have been reloading target shotgun shells for 50+ years. Never in all those years have I experienced the shortages that we are seeing. I understand that hoarding may be a small part of the problem. However, years ago there were a lot more shooters than we have participating now. (So why weren't there shortages then)? I have been trying to obtain powder for the shooters that I shoot with in my area. (East Central Wisconsin). There are several very large suppliers of components in my area. I have personally contacted and/or visited Midwestern Shooters Supply, Recob's and Cabela's. None of these suppliers have any powder. NONE. And I have been told they have no idea when they will receive some. I contacted Gamaliel's in Kentucky. Same thing. Now you can bet if the supplies start coming in to these places; the hoarders will be standing at the door and the available supplies will be exhausted in a short period of time. (Same way with .22 caliber rimfire ammo). What I really can't understand is that Cabela's cannot get powder, but have target shotgun shells on sale!! I just used my Cabela points and their Christmas discount and purchased 4 cases of Herters target shells for$51.70 a flat. At todays prices even IF you can get components; it doesn't pay to reload. JMHO. Ed

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
When clubs mine the expensive lead we scatter on their property, it would be nice if they sold their portion back to lead shot companies for melting new shot? So we can throw it on their property again. Selling it to the highest bidder may come back to bite our ass one day.

I'd like to have just what's squirreled away in warehouses? Powder too?

HAP

·
Registered
260 Posts
Esoxhunter, I'm with you -- the powder and primers have not been getting to the stores for the "hoarders" to buy, and that has been going on for over a year. So the powder companies are selling it out the back door to hoarders, and then don't have any left for Cabellas? I don't think so!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Don't forget about the huge number of handgun shooters that reload. And the majority of them are using shotgun powders. They are grabbing up any they can get. They out number us clay shooters 10 to 1 at my club.

Wayne

·
Registered
260 Posts
Here the vendors have simply not been receiving very much powder for the past year. None of them. There is very little powder for anyone to buy, no matter what they plan to do with it.

My guess is that the powder is going to the ammo mfgrs, who can pay top dollar for it due to the shortage and resulting high costs of ammo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts