Trapshooters Forum banner

Reloading help

5913 39
I’m new to this. And would like advice. Don’t want to get hurt while trying to have fun busting clays during the times we live in.

I have a mix of about 1000 Hulls. Remington nitro, sts and some Winchester aa. What are the components I need to reload these hulls? Wanting to make half in 1145 and half in 1250 both 1 1/8 oz.

Thank you in advance, happy shooting and God bless you all
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Premium Member
8,259 Posts
I’m new to this. And would like advice. Don’t want to get hurt while trying to have fun busting clays during the times we live in.

I have a mix of about 1000 Hulls. Remington nitro, sts and some Winchester aa. What are the components I need to reload these hulls? Wanting to make half in 1145 and half in 1250 both 1 1/8 oz.

Thank you in advance, happy shooting and God bless you all
So lets do this. Separate your hulls into three groups of similarities.

STS and Nitros are what your going to load. One will be your 1145 she'll and the other your 1250 shell. Sell or trade AA's. Keeping it simple for you.

Now what can you buy for powder and primers or have you already acquired one or the other or possibly both? If you haven't, you may not be reloading and your post and desire irrelevant.

Powders I would like at if only using one-Green Dot, American Select, International, WSH and powders of this burn rate.

Now simply look up recipes for your desired velocity for powder acquired and match the appropriate wad and primer.

Seriously, you need to see what's available if any in powder before you concern yourself further.

· Registered
2,532 Posts
Lots of good suggestions above. You can get recipes from the powder websites, I would start with what you are looking for, 1145 fps. There are a few machines out there, but Dillon Precision website has some good advice and videos even if you don't buy their machine. MEC is a great starter press, look at their websites and you tube. Be SAFE and good luck

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lots of good suggestions above. You can get recipes from the powder websites, I would start with what you are looking for, 1145 fps. There are a few machines out there, but Dillon Precision website has some good advice and videos even if you don't buy their machine. MEC is a great starter press, look at their websites and you tube. Be SAFE and good luck

i got a mec jr 600 from a good friend for $70. Then I have 1000 primers. Thank you for the advice.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So lets do this. Separate your hulls into three groups of similarities.

STS and Nitros are what your going to load. One will be your 1145 she'll and the other your 1250 shell. Sell or trade AA's. Keeping it simple for you.

Now what can you buy for powder and primers or have you already acquired one or the other or possibly both? If you haven't, you may not be reloading and your post and desire irrelevant.

Powders I would like at if only using one-Green Dot, American Select, International, WSH and powders of this burn rate.

Now simply look up recipes for your desired velocity for powder acquired and match the appropriate wad and primer.

Seriously, you need to see what's available if any in powder before you concern yourself further.

I can get clays from a local store. What do you think about that brand.

· Registered
4,107 Posts
Not to be a bummer here, but get your self a BOOK or two. People here will give some good advice but you are missing all the filler. Lyman's shotshell book would be a good start. To be successful you should understand the relationship of all components to each step and choices you make. Did anyone explain chamber pressures. SAMMI specs, hull life, relationship of proper crimps to load consistency. etc.
The cranky old me comes out to tell you the information is readily available. You need to do the work yourself.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not to be a bummer here, but get your self a BOOK or two. People here will give some good advice but you are missing all the filler. Lyman's shotshell book would be a good start. To be successful you should understand the relationship of all components to each step and choices you make. Did anyone explain chamber pressures. SAMMI specs, hull life, relationship of proper crimps to load consistency. etc.
The cranky old me comes out to tell you the information is readily available. You need to do the work yourself.
yes sir my uncle told me about this. He has great advice I wish he lived closer. But he’s in Tampa and I’m here in Oklahoma. I’m going to just read more and try to figure this out.

· Premium Member
8,102 Posts
You will need two powders for what you want to load, not one. For the slower load, a faster burning powder. For the faster load, a slower burning powder. In the data, look for loads that have higher pressures, 10k psi or above. Don't get rid of the Win hulls, they are good. If you happen onto some WSH powder, they will be perfect for your faster load.

· Registered
521 Posts
Yeah because any of that stuff is interchangeable. Oh yeah I forgot if it is on the internet it is true.
If you’d take the time to read the reloading recipes for 700x.....the powder that has been around for probably 50+ years you’d find that in fact.....yes a lot of that stuff is interchangeable in certain combinations .....

But I guess I was wrong to assume that everyone does in fact read the reloading manuals.....

My bad

like I said....700x will do what he wants.

If you find some green dot that will work as well. It just uses more grains per FPS.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.