Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found or know of suitable loads for the Clever T-1's? The hull base on the inside appear to be similar to a AA and I'm loading several 1 1/8 oz with 17.0 gr of Promo and a 1 oz AA wad to test on my chronograph this week. Using the 1 oz wad since it provides for the best crimp. Thank you for your insight.

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
Sounds like you aren't using published reloading data for this and you're just making things up as you go along. You're playing with fire when you do this.

If this is true, I'm glad I'm not shooting with you!!!

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I am making up 5 loads to test with a light load of powder with each charge weighed. I will be chrono testing the 5 shells without close observers in a strong shotgun with open choke. I am experienced in explosives and blaster qualified but would not use a home brew with others on the line that have not been throughly reviewed and tested for any signs of excessive pressures. My reasons for this post are to find out if anyone has experience with Clever shell reloading and avoid endangering anyone.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Yes I am making up 5 loads to test with a light load of powder with each charge weighed. I will be chrono testing the 5 shells without close observers in a strong shotgun with open choke. I am experienced in explosives and blaster qualified but would not use a home brew with others on the line that have not been throughly reviewed and tested for any signs of excessive pressures. My reasons for this post are to find out if anyone has experience with Clever shell reloading and avoid endangering anyone.
Use a st. wall wad - CB6118, 6100, 12so and or 12s3 to get good psi. 17 grs. of Promo in 1 oz. load is going to give you approx. 1200fps. and 1145 fps. in a 1 1/8 oz. load. Both loads, low to medium pressure.

·
Registered
11,414 Posts
They are most likely European straight-walled Reifenhauser hulls and as such will reload more like Federal than Winchester (which are tapered hulls.)

Probably Cheddite data will work.

I would recommend picking up the phone and talk to the powder manufacturer before you load anything.

Most likely if you use a reasonable load you won't blow yourself up. But I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Call Alliant and ask them what load data you should be using.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
You are fine, 17 gr of Promo with 1 1/8 oz is not a hot load. Anyone saying you will blow yourself up with this load is :1augen71:.

The WAA12-SL and clones work well in about any hull. I have loaded a bunch of Clever hulls. A standard size primer will work.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried the 5 Clever Mirage TS 1 hulls reloaded with 17gr Promo, 1 1/8 oz, 1 oz AA wad, and cheddite primer. No signs of over pressure from visual checks and micrometer measurements. Mild shooting. All results were 1146 fps to 1181 fps. I will perform a review using straight wall 12SO wads at some point in the future. Thanks to all for your information.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts