Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some 2-3/4" Activ hulls I am wanting to reload. I have an Activ hull reloading booklet but the loads listed are for Activ wads. I was wondering if anyone had some safe and tested loads using components I have or can easily get. I have the following powder and primers. Any loads with these primers and powder using common wads?

Green Dot powder
Herco powder

Winchester w209 primers
Federal 209A primers

I have Fig 8 and 12S3 wads on hand but can get just about and common wads locally. I am wanting 1-1/8oz loads only and would like to stay ATA compliant. I would entertain 1oz. loads if it was my only option for whatever reason.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Matt, I have loaded 800X, 4756, 7625, PB, Greendot, Promo and 700X in Active hulls with RP12, SP12, Target 12, 12SO and Claybuster Win. 12L copies from 1 and 3/8 ounces down to 1 ounce loads. The 4th edition Lyman reloading manual has recipies for Activs for several powder and wad combinations. Do you have one of those books by chance or know someone who does close to you? I have used some of the Lyman recipes, but most of the time I load the Activs based on what the current recipes are for Federal hulls. Granted an Activ is a tapered hull, but it is deep. Because of the deep internals of an Activ, you'll probably find that a 1 ounce wad is all that is necessary for a 1 and 1/8 ounce load. FYI, my head is still attached to my neck, I have all my fingers as I type this, and I have not had a gun blow up or malfunction, but I'm not saying you should follow what I do. Some people get edgy if you don't load exactly to a published recipe. PM me if you want some specifics.

·
Registered
32,233 Posts
Nothing for Herco, in 4th Edition, but for Green Dot and 1-1/8 oz shot

WW209 and WAA12SL and 20 ga card, (.125) under shot, with 20 grains will give 1149 fps at 8000 PSI
WW209 and WAA12, with 21.5 grains will give you 1253 FPS and 10,900 PSI
Fed 209A and Fed 12S3 with 21.5 grains will give you 1221 FPS and 10,600 PSI

Notice that is a Fed A on last one

Reactions: grntitan

·
Registered
32,233 Posts
Now to add some confusion.

I have an old Alliant manual, but cannot find a date on it. It shows web site addresses and shows a man, a young boy and a woman on the cover, the boy, loading with a MEC.

The only loading info for Green Dot is a 1200 FPS loading

using the Fed209 and Fed 12S3. at 21.0 grains , 7,500 PSI.

using the W209
and
Fed 12S3 at 21.5 grains, 7,400 PSI
Rem PT12 at 22.0 grains, 8,000 PSI
Win WAA12F1 at 22.5 grains, 6,500 PSI
Purple PC at 23.0 grains, 7,000 PSI

IMPORTANT. Notice the change in the Federal primer from the Lyman recipie. The Alliant calls for a Fed 209, not a 209A

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I have 2 unopened bags of T-32 wads, but they are listed as 1 1/4oz.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have the Lyman's 4th Edition, only the 5th Edition. I didn't see anything for Activ in the 5th. You guys have given me enough for some ideas. Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,000 Posts
I have some 2-3/4" Activ hulls I am wanting to reload. I have an Activ hull reloading booklet but the loads listed are for Activ wads. I was wondering if anyone had some safe and tested loads using components I have or can easily get. I have the following powder and primers. Any loads with these primers and powder using common wads?

Green Dot powder
Herco powder

Winchester w209 primers
Federal 209A primers

I have Fig 8 and 12S3 wads on hand but can get just about and common wads locally. I am wanting 1-1/8oz loads only and would like to stay ATA compliant. I would entertain 1oz. loads if it was my only option for whatever reason.

Thanks
How many hulls do you have?

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How many hulls do you have?
I haven't counted them but I don't have a whole lot of them. Honestly I was just wanting to play with them a little. I probably wouldn't load more than a box or so max just to experiment with.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I have a manual from a bag of new hulls.
I'll try to post a photo of the page later, but the only loads listed for Green Dot are 1255 fps, 1 1/8oz. loads.
12S3 wad, 21.5 grains of Green Dot and W209 primer, pressure is listed at 11200 psi.

Mike

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I have loaded many with the pink AA 1oz. wad in a 1 1/8 oz. load with a forgotten amount of Red Dot and my favorite Active load was their 1oz. wad with 1oz. of shot and Red Dot.
They shot VERY soft and would crush targets with a 34" IM choke in a BT-99

·
Banned
715 Posts
My favorite Active Hull load , in the 800 or so that I have , is not with Lead shot but Steel shot as I haven't found anything better.......for Waterfowl hunting ! Just saying

1 - 16 of 16 Posts