Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here I go AGAIN. I had good info that there are no problems with reloading the new AA's. Now I am once again hearing that they are not safe to reload.

It's hard to remember to look down the barrel after every shot so this makes it a major safety issue for ME. I have a nearly unlimited source for these hulls.

All input is welcome on this subject.

Bill

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
I load them and have not had a problem. I suggest you try to take one of the empty hulls apart to see if you can get the plastic to separate. HMB

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have zero issues loading AA's, in fact I prefer them. I wish I could find an abundance of them, but they are scarce around here and the ones I'm reloading now are on the 8th round of reloads and still going strong, maybe some people don't know how to adjust loaders for different hulls, or maybe it's just one of those stupid ford vs. chevy vs. dodge things. Who knows, either way the fact is AA's are some of the best reload hulls on the market, load em and shoot well......Joe

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hundreds of thousands of AA's are reloaded every year...I load anything handy with no issues....including thousands of AA's.

Not a bad idea to check the barrels after every shot...but I'm sure most of us just listen for a strange sounding report and then check. Maybe we all should be more careful and look each time.

Regardless...don't sweat the biased information...anything is possible even with new shells ...load AA's and enjoy. Just use a little common sense....

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
MAH66: Your response that my OPINION that Remington is a superior hull compared to the "new" AA hull is "irresponsible and uncalled for" is somewhat irresponsible and uncalled for. I have loaded thousands of the "old type" AA hulls. In fact for many years that is all I would load. However the new AA hull is surely not in the same league as the old AA. The Remington STS is far and away a better hull to reload. AND again I am still wondering what problem you have with someone who does not share your views? One last thing, it seems you have somewhat of a habit in reflecting your dismay with people who do not share your views. I happened to notice on the posting, "Cracker Barrel knows who butters their bread"; you seem to disagree with Phil Robertson with his battle with A&E. Nothing wrong with that if that is your opinion. Then again, you might try to honor other peoples opinion even though you may not agree.. JMHO. Ed

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
I hate to admit it but the Rem sts and nitros do load better than the new AAs

Just yesterday I was loading some nitros with Rem fig 8 wads and to my surprise there was some new AAhs hulls mixed in so I loaded them with the same recipe with the fig 8s and each AA loaded perfect---I load on a Mec 9000H---

Using AA factory wads I do note that many are perfect but many still show the bulge----I shoot the bulge anyway and they break tgts----JMO

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just checked and all of my hulls are the hs variety so I will continue to use them. I get a perfect shell every time from the grabber.

Thanks for your replies.

Bill

·
Registered
253 Posts
You can't reload a series of different hulls without making small adjustments to your loader and expect the same results, get your loader set up for what you want to load and run em through, it's that simple...........Joe

·
Banned
996 Posts
I have used them for over a year now on my little sizemaster and they load fine. One thing I like about them is they are a little more economical then anything else. Less powder to achieve desired FPS. I have never and have never seen a separation. Not saying there never has been just never seen one.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Mike: You come onto this forum with, (in my opinion), an attitude. I have been posting on this forum for years. If you find that my stating, (Life is too short to load AA's); "carries the implication that serious harm can befall someone that loads AA's"; is laughable. In my opinion "life is too short to listen to liberals or Democrats", but that doesn't mean I imply that I wish harm to them. Man, get a life. Believe me I am used to "facing dissenting opinions". This due to me retiring as a Captain in the Wisconsin prison system. After listening to a million dissenting opinions from the elite cliental I dealt with during my 25 years of service; you don't bother me in the least. Regards.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I reload old style AA's and STS's/Nitros. I've reloaded some of the new style and they reload fine on my Sizemaster but I can't get them to run on my 9000 presses to my satisfaction while running a mix of old style and new type. I opt to not reload them for that reason. Old AA's is all I run on that press. To me it's not worth the hassle of adjustments. One press is dedicated to STS's/Nitros but if I tried to throw some Gun Clubs, Game Loads or Sportloads in that mix they would run fine.

If I had to go with new type of AA's exclusivly I would reload them without question. Don't see any safety issue. I reload plenty of the new 20 gauge AA's and all goes well.

Just an opinion but the STS's, Nitros and Gun Clubs will reload more times than any old style or new type AA. This is the way I'd go if I was new to reloading.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
For the new AA I use a DRA 12 wad, works well... Not saying it can't happen but never seen a basewad come out.... But I look down the barrel every now and then.....

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I prefer AA's regardless of the type, new or old. I have given away thousands of the remingtons and never worry while shooting AA's. Life is too short for me to load Remingtons. It is simply, to me, a matter of preference. Jackie B.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
15 years reloading AA's, all types and colors, one piece, two piece, even the infamous Boxed AA, underline AA with no problems. Dave T.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Slayer

They are in fact very dangerous....in fact you shouldnt load any at all....instead, just to be safe, pack up every one in your unlimited supply and send them to me, just to be sure they are completely out of harms way!!! I will dispose of them properly.....thru my loader and shotguns! They are fine and load nicely.....i wish i had an endless supply of them!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts