Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,907 Posts
As a part number the dies for 45 ACP and for 45 Auto Rim are different, so it would suggest there is a difference between the two.

Reactions: EEB

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
The difference is the crimp. ACPs headspace on the mouth and can not be roll crimped. ARs headspace on the rim and can be roll crimped therefore, the AR dies have a roll crimp feature.

The ACP's dies will work fine but the crimp you will get is a taper crimp which should suffice.

Get the right shell holder and carry on

·
Registered
10,446 Posts
I loaded this fascinating cartridge decades ago. The temptation is to hot rod the round. DON'T. 45 ACP dies will work well, a little more crimp is the key to prevent bullet movement.

·
Premium Member
Brownings
721 Posts
I loaded this fascinating cartridge decades ago. The temptation is to hot rod the round. DON'T. 45 ACP dies will work well, a little more crimp is the key to prevent bullet movement.
What is the weak point if one tries to heat up the loads? Brass?

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
If you use old brass, particularly Remington, it has what's called a 'balloon head' where the inside of the area at the base is hollow. They will blow out if hot loads are used. Keeping it to less than GI specs for ACP will assure that won't happen. It pays to inspect any old brass carefully.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I use my lee 45 acp dies with a different shell holder. I shoot a Smith 625 with hornady 250 gr xtp and a stout load of unique to get about 1000 FPS. Took a nice doe with that load a couple years ago. I use only modern new Remington cases. It is a hoot with regular 45 acp loads with moon clips.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I reload both with the same Lee die set, different shell holder. It has been years, but I think the set came with both shell holders. There is plenty of adjustment to crimp what you need. Soft lead bullets need more crimp in a revolver because the recoil acts like an inertia bullet puller. I use modern brass and have no problem loading a little warm for use in a 625 Smith revolver. I do not go crazy and try to match .44 MAG, the case will not hold that much powder anyway. I probably would not load warm with a 1917 revolver.

If you want to get high performance, get a Wildey semi auto and shoot .45 auto magnum at double .45acp velocity. You make the cases out of 30-06 rifle brass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts