Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to use up a 8# jug of Winchester 296 I bought when powder was scarce. I normally used Alliant 410... I'm using AAHS hulls, Winchester 209 primers and Claybuster 5050-410HS wads. The recipe calls for 15.3 grains of powder and I'm averaging 15.5 grains on dump... However, my shot dumps are light @215 grains. A 1\2 oz equals 218.75 grains... has anyone ever modified their shot bushing on a PW 800+?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As shooting coach said. My reloader has different bushings for #8 and #7.5 shot. I don't load #9 shot anymore but it may make a difference if you are loading different size shot.
I'm using #8 shot; may try filing the bushing lightly to bring up the shot drop and get a decent shell crimp.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't know what purpose you have for loading .410, but the NSSA allows up to 232 grains of shot before the shot police will disqualify you.
Additionally you are using the minimum recommended powder charge of 296 in the AAHS hull.
I load 16.3 grains of 296 and 228 grains of shot.
No rattle. No dished crimps.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know what purpose you have for loading .410, but the NSSA allows up to 232 grains of shot before the shot police will disqualify you.
Additionally you are using the minimum recommended powder charge of 296 in the AAHS hull.
I load 16.3 grains of 296 and 228 grains of shot.
No rattle. No dished crimps.
The recipe I quoted in my initial post came from an old Hodgdon book. I went to their wesite and found the recipe quoted above... Thanks for the feedback everyone!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I'm trying to use up a 8# jug of Winchester 296 I bought when powder was scarce. I normally used Alliant 410... I'm using AAHS hulls, Winchester 209 primers and Claybuster 5050-410HS wads. The recipe calls for 15.3 grains of powder and I'm averaging 15.5 grains on dump... However, my shot dumps are light @215 grains. A 1\2 oz equals 218.75 grains... has anyone ever modified their shot bushing on a PW 800+?

Thanks,

Bill
Bill,

If you are saying you are 4 grains short on shot that is only about 4 number 8 pellets and that changes with the mount of antimony in the shot to begin with. I know the payload is small but it just doesn't seem quite worth it for only four pellets. I shoot plenty of .410 at skeet so most of my shots are closer in. I would go to the full 228 grains to make it worth your while. Just my 2 cents worth of course.

·
Supporting Vendor
6,173 Posts
I made a set of shot bushings that are in 4% increments over/under. The .410 wads do not have a "crush" section so getting the payload just right is critical to making a good reload.

Reactions: Bill_B

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I'm going to increase my power drop! Like I said earlier, I was following an old book I had that called for the 15.3 drop. Went to the website and found some recipes for faster loads...

What is your recommendation for opening up a PW shot bushing? I'm used to MEC's...

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I don't or have used a PW, but if you are using a bushing, I would suggest using a rat tail file, and file from the bottum of the bushing. File alittle at a time and weigh until you are satisfied with the weigh you want to achieve. Just remember, if you are using soft shot, like Eagle, will weigh heavier until you use a Mag shot like West Coast/Lawrence or Remington, which will weigh slightly lighter.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to increase my power drop! Like I said earlier, I was following an old book I had that called for the 15.3 drop. Went to the website and found some recipes for faster loads...
When you start talking about increasing powder AND increasing shot in a 410, you'll quickly learn why guys like to use the Rem STS hull. It has more volume than Win AA. It might not last for as many reloads, but you can get more in to it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts