Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to purchase one or two flat of 28ga shells for future reloading. Winchester AAHS or Remington is the question. In the past I used the old style AA hulls and ran out of them. I had problems reloading new AA hulls in the past and never reloaded Remington 28 ga hulls before.

I would like to use less expensive claybuster wads to save some money. I have already Cheddite primers and 20/28 powder. What would be my best choice?

Remington cost 102.00 a flat
Winchester AAHS cost 93.00 a flat

I appreciate any suggestions that you might have.

Thanks,

Joe M

·
Registered
621 Posts
Aahs in 28 and 410
Sts in 12/20

Longest hull life in those gauges- sts and aahs hulls are different lengths and require adjustment. Pick one and stick with it

·
Registered
11,426 Posts
I don't shoot 28 gauge a lot, and AA hulls can be hard to find. I picked up some Estate hulls a long time ago, and have been reloading them with good success. They're essentially the same as Federal 28 gauge hulls.

I use a Federal wad in them (I think 28S1) and 14 to 14.5 grains of Universal Clays powder and a Winchester primer.

I'm getting 4-6 reloads out of the hulls before they start to split.

·
Banned
311 Posts
I use nothing but AA HS hulls for the 28 GA. I use the Claybuster wad and 13 grains of Unique. I will switch to 20/28 when my supply of Unique runs out. The Remington hulls do not last as long as the AA hulls in my opinion and experience. I get at least 6 loading out of the AA hulls.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I load AAHS 28s with the Claybuster CB5034-28HS wad, Win 209 primers and HS6 powder. Longshot and new Win 572 are also candidates. Winchester (Hogdon) says 572 will duplicate the factory AAHS load.

I have loaded the Remington 28s with the Claybuster CB1034-28 wads and HS6.
Hull life does not compare to the AAHS hulls.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
The Winchester hull is so much better then the STS in he 28ga that it isn't even a question. You will get way more then 6 reloads.

·
Slacker
172 Posts
Has anyone tried reloading the 28ga Herter's hulls from Cabela's? I had a coworker give me a trash bag full of once fired hulls and they look and feel really good. I am guessing you can use the Euro hull recipes?

·
Registered
11,426 Posts
Has anyone tried reloading the 28ga Herter's hulls from Cabela's? I had a coworker give me a trash bag full of once fired hulls and they look and feel really good. I am guessing you can use the Euro hull recipes?
I haven't tried them, but they can probably be used.

I would give a call to whatever powder company you plan to use. They'll be able to tell you what data to use.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,325 Posts
It appears that Remington assigned the 28 gauge hull design to a different engineer. 28 gauge Remington hulls are awful to reload! Folks give me 28 gauge Remington's and I just throw them in the trash.

The Winchester 28 gauge HS hull is the only way to go.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
I don't cull ANY 28's or 410's! LOL

Herters are Cheddite. Use Fed loading data.

Jim, the Remmies aren't THAT bad. The engineers at Remington had a Blue Monday when they designed both Baby Bore hulls. (sigh)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts