Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunch of super X game load winchester hulls. Originally were 1oz loads. Can't find squat for reload data. Will use unique powder. Seem to be options with fiochi 616 primers and fed 209A primers. Anybody got a load that works? 1 oz preferred but will do 1 1/8 if needed. not enough wad choices to bother with. most available seems to be the clay buster wad. Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
Your best move will be to go to 16ga.com and ask the guys over there. If you don't have at least 100 hulls it probably wouldn't be worthwhile to buy components for them but ask the 16ga guys for a definitive answer.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The expert hull with plastic base was has alot of volume. I've tried and given up. Ive use aa claybuster clones. Rem sp and gulandi wads. Different powders. Never could get a good crimp.
Steve

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's been several years since I stopped reloading 16 ga. but I still have a number of references that have 1 oz. loads in the Winchester hull. Most seem to use the Win 209 primer and about 19.0 to 19.4 grains of Unique and can be found in various Reloading Manuals. There is one published in the 5th Ed. of Lyman for 19.5 gr. SP-16 wad at 1276 and 10,500 psi. Win 209 primer.
TerryS

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I will happily put a thin card wad over the shot to help support the crimp.
Most available 16 gauge hulls seem to have too much room for 1 ounce loads, with the few wad choices that I have.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I reloaded mostly the black Remington hulls and one ounce was not enough to make a good wad column. I used puffed rice for a filler. A card wad would have been better. I had a few Winchester CF hulls and they reloaded better but wore out after several reloads. I had a couple thousand of the Remington's and shot it a lot at skeet and hunting.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you have the recent Winchester Super X game load hulls that use a separate white plastic base wad, those are Cheddite hulls and you should be able to find a number of good recipes using Unique and Cheddite primers. The best 1 oz. wad I have found is the SG16 sold by Ballistic Products. It seems like the powder charge will be in the 18 -20 grain range but you need to get a good recipe to check. I have loaded these in the past and they work well. The 16 ga. Society Reloading Group has moved their data to the 24 Hour Campfire website if you want to go look it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Claybuster or the other large knockoff mfg. makes a 7/8 wad for the 16 ga. Been loading in Remington black field hulls, and they load perfectly with no filler. Good shooting!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Ballistic Products supplies two good wads for reloading 16 gauge in straight walled hulls - the Z16 (B&P wad) and the SG16 (Guilandi).
Claybuster's wads are best in AA CF hulls or Remington Game hulls. Remington SP16 wad is still available, and has a slightly wider/better fitting gas seal.
There are a lot of compromises made in published 16 gauge loads, with less than ideal combinations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts