Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, Could anyone give me a rough estimate cost for what it would take to set up a small reloading station to just reload 12 gauge shells only.
Equipment cost and all. Also would like to only use up a small area (like a card table) to be able to set everything up.
Just looking to reload for trap.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think the minimum to get started is a press and a scale. You need the scale to verify powder drops.
https://www.mecoutdoors.com/600-jr-mark-vhttps://www.mecoutdoors.com/600-jr-mark-v is a very popular single stage press. List is $275. Online stores and or places like BassPro sell for less and used is also possible,
I use this scale to check my drops
You can spend a lot more but that one seems to work quite well.

You might need a few other things like more powder bushings (about $7 each), funnels, and I like this shell stacker.

Buying the Lyman book is a pretty good idea.

You should be able to get set up like that for $300-$400.

You will of course need shot, powder, hulls, wads, and primers. It is very difficult these days to find those supplies.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Check around for a good MEC single stage loader. They turn up at your local clubs, yard sales, estate sales and auction web sites. Could save you a bunch on your start up cost. Depending on where you live, members on here may be able to help also. Just a thought. Colonel

·
Registered
356 Posts
Do your due diligence you have to decide on a single stage or progressive too.
I recommend the progressive, but I reloaded pistol before I got into reloading shotshells.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
I put probably around $500 in mine to startup. I bought an old wooden school teachers desk to mount the loader on. That sucker is so heavy it won’t move around. It has drawers too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put probably around $500 in mine to startup. I bought an old wooden school teachers desk to mount the loader on. That sucker is so heavy it won’t move around. It has drawers too.
Thank you all for the suggestions so far !
Much appreciated.

·
Registered
341 Posts
$500 is an easy start up fee including a used Mec 9000G press and home built bench. I purchased a lightly used 9000G here for $375 and put $125 or so in a large work bench. Also add a general set of wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, crescents and sockets separate from your normal use tooling in the garage for $50 (Build this from the owners manual).

Figure your components separately, as prices have varied nationwide/globally. At top dollar paid your looking at $4.50-8.00 /box with all components with the Hazmat/Shipping fee paid;

I-beam/Electronic weigh scale $25-100
Powder/Shot Bushings $7.99 /per bushing
European Primers $260 /5000 shipped with hazmat
Alliant/Hogdgen powder $200-275 /8lbs shipped with hazmat
Lead Shot sourced locally $45-55 /25lbs
Shipped Lead Shot $55-65 /25lbs
Wads $100/ 5000 shipped (Premium replacement
Hulls free or sourced cheap $10 /1000
Your working time if it’s a hobby $Free$

There are countless free reloading cost calculators available to figure in all costs; reloader, primer, powder, wad, shot, hulls and working time. If you have the ability to reload right now that’s the way to go.

·
Registered
1972 BT 99 Winchester SuperX model 1
168 Posts
I beg to differ but if he's just starting out a single stage press like the Sizemaster is definitely the way to go. Especially when he has to clean up his first mess with a progressive press.
I spill bbs on my mec all the time. Don't have too many problems with my 366. Pay attention and go slow!

·
Banned
29 Posts
What's available in your local area? Used 12 gauge reloaders are often much cheaper at the local gun club than what you can find on the web.

How many shells do you plan on shooting? Based on the advice of others, I started off with a single stage MEC Jr and it was a big mistake. I was shooting 10 boxes every week and there were weeks where I just couldn't find the time to load 10 boxes on a single stage so I ended up buying shells. Right away jumped to a MEC 9000 and immediately wished that had been my first purchase.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I beg to differ but if he's just starting out a single stage press like the Sizemaster is definitely the way to go. Especially when he has to clean up his first mess with a progressive press.

The floor in my reloading room has enough lead bbs that it'll probably be declared a hazardous waste site after I die.

·
Banned
29 Posts
Lyman book says if you have not loaded before to start with a single stage. I think this is very good advice. Besides, having a 600 around is very nice when I have to fix the screw ups on my 9000.
If shooting volume justifies it there is no reason to purchase a single-stage reloader since you can use a progressive reloader as if it were a single stage reloader.

If a Grabber or 9000 is too much for a new reloader to figure out then reloading is probably not a hobby they should pick up.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts