Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a issue with a 1 1/8 in a WAA case with 22 grains of green dot, a down range DRXL blue wad, and a cci 209. A lot of the shells had a light report compared to the normal of others.

was wondering if the cci green dot combo is temp sensitive? I did the same load with a federal 209A and didn't have a issue. these loads were supposed to be 1230 fps - 1270 fps. Todays temps were 36-45 degrees plus wind chill

Jeff

·
Registered
801 Posts
Sounds more like a primer issue. CCI ,209's are more like a Rem 209 as they are colder than a Fed. When the shells went off with the CCI's was there a lot of ,for a better word"dirt" in the barrel,that will tell. Ray

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I had some big issues with some CCI 209`s this fall. Pretty much what you described. Went back to Winchester 209`s and problem solved. It was the CCI primers. Never had that happen before with them.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Had a similar issue with NS primers & Clays a couple years ago, Clays must be temp sensitive also, anyway I just went back to 700X (had no other primers) and no more problems. Have since switched to Promo (price) with good results.

Never had any problems with Rem. primers (my favorite), just can't afford them now either. Ross Puls

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I had a similar situation in the past. My occasional off sounding shells were caused by improperly seated wads. My wad guide fingers were worn and it occasionally set a wad seat crooked over the powder. Replaced the wad guide fingers and it hasn't happened since.

John

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I had a similar problem with Green Dot loads when I was storing them in an out building during the winter. The problem was solved by bringing the loaded ammo into the house a few days before I was going to shoot it. A hot primer like the Fed 209A might accomplish the same thing but then the 22 grain load you are using might be a bit too much.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the wad fingers and they are in good shape. The load came from lyman/rcbs? manual. I used a 19gr green dot, 1 oz load and win 209 for my doubles and 16 yd. No problems with those. Maybe the primer is not hot enough in cold weather to ignite 22 grains green dot.

On another note anyone have problems running cheddite primers in a P.W. 800. The primers don't always enter the priming station. Heads seem a little wide.

·
Registered
385 Posts
338reddog, it is quite accepted knowledge that yes, Cheddite primers are a larger primer than say win 209 or fed 209 for example. In fact, many shooters say that once they have loaded Cheddites into a shell that they must stay with them (CHEDDITES) because other primers will want to back out and sometimes fall out of the used shell. In other words, the primer pocket has been stretched. Later......BUD

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
I have used 21 grains of Green Dot, Blue Duster wad and the Federal primer in temps as low as 0°F with no issues. I use FIO and Federals with Promo, Green Dot, Red dot and Unique with never any cold weather issues.... Larry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts