Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While reloading hulls I noticed that some hulls have smaller openings after firing them than others. Is this the cause of loads with not enough powder or hulls that have been reloaded too many times?

I did not have any failure to fire loads but I have been experimenting with different recipes for 1 oz loads with Promo and E3. The hulls probably have been reloaded 5 or 6 times and still look to be in very good condition.

Is this normal to have different size openings?

thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
474 Posts
The more they are used, the less resilience in the plastic. A once -fired should close somewhat to a nice star-shaped opening. A well-used will look almost round. Use them until they split or develop pinholes where they fold for the crimp. Just my opinion. I am sure someone else will join in.
How do like E3 in comparison to Promo?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
E3 is a lot cleaner but I love the price on Promo. E3 seems to be better in colder temperatures. I can shoot E3 in freezing temps and not have to worry about keeping my shells warm.

Until the price of lead comes down, I will continue to save money on the powder and use Promo more.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
The more they are reloaded and shot the less open they become. Very common with the STS and older AA's. When deprimed they open back up some. Unless they are cracked, split, burnt brittle or have pin holes don't sweat it. They only reload so many times.

I'm not a huge fan of the steel bases on the Gun Clubs but, you can reload the heck out of those hulls. They hold up better than the STS's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts