Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please look at these two reloads. Pictures in link below

7/8 load My charge bar drops about .84 oz (I know a little light)
1200 FPS
17 grains of Clay Dot
Downrange Wad DRHRT12 8 pedal.
Rem STS Primer

I'm new at reloading and don't know if I need to make an adjustment to my receipt or my reloader.

L Chance

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Looks like you need a taller wad. I don't know if the one your using is made for 7/8th oz or not, But it is too short or the shot cup is too big.

Jim

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
If using a MEC try raising the shot drop tube a little. If that dosen't work refere to the Mec manual. If you don't have one got to Mec website and download it. Jake

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Larry, you absolutely do not want to use the DRM Orange XXL wad in your STS and similar hulls. If you insist on using the XXL it better be the Pink.

The XXL pink is a nice wad if you are going to drive it fast. There is no powder you can use with a TGT-12 wad or clone that will crimp correctly unless you are shooting for Bunker speed loads.

My suggestion is to go to a Federal 12S0 wad for anything between 1100fps and 1250fps in an STS or Gun Club hull. If you want to be a bit more traditional, use a WAA12L wad. IMO, you will have better luck with the XXL pink than the WAA12L. YMMV>

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I think that wad was designed for 1 0z loads. Like already said....you need a taller wad. You didn't say what press you are using, but maybe excessive wad pressure? Keep in mind that published loads have been tested to be safe. That doesn't always mean they fit in the package well!

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
First get the shot weight correct, .84 oz. is not a little light it's a lot light. Then I would go to the Claybuster CB-0178-12 wad, the grey one designed for 7/8 oz loads. Should solve the problem.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I use Claybuster wads, but have experienced the same problem. Instead of changing things around on the press, I just started using the next size smaller wad. So when I'm loading 7/8 oz, I use a 3/4 wad. for 1 oz, I use a 7/8 wad, and for 1 1/8 oz, I use a 1 oz wad. It's a lot quicker to do this than adding some filler material, like the Cheerio mentioned above. I used to add a small piece of foam, then switched to a few grains of silica gel when I ran out of the foam. Both of those solutions worked very well and I didn't suffer any performance issues, but it just took so freaking long.

Heeringa

·
Registered
86 Posts
I shoot a lot of the 7/8 oz loads and this is what I use, the silver/gray claybuster wad and #29 bushing with red dot. Also loosen the shot bottle about 1/4 turn if you are using a Mec. Your problem should go away.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I backed the crimp out a little bit, still looks good and works well

Another option is to take an air pistol target (because they are brittle) and use scissors to cut strips 1/4 in wide one way (but dot detach from target) and then cut the other way to get squares to drop in the shell on top of the shot;no leaks

regards

·
Registered
163 Posts
Before you make any adjustments please try the grey 7/8oz wad. That should fix the problem.
Let us know how it works!

Mike

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I have loaded many thousands of 7/8 oz loads with the Downrange XXL pink wads in AA hulls and they work beautifully. I load on a MEC9000E.

Hope this helps.

Happy New Year,

Doc

1 - 20 of 28 Posts