Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been wanting to try a release trigger but am hesitant.
The folks I taking to that shoot them seem to love them.
How long does it take to get used to?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Usually you go to a release trigger because you develop a flinch were you cannot pull the trigger. I still have all pull trigger guns.

A few who have had to go to a release trigger say that it seems more natural and smoother. Beside it keep them shooting.

Jason

·
Registered
62 Posts
A release trigger may not be dangerous to someone who knows how to use it, but I don't think I would benefit from one..... Just seems crazy to release instead of pull.

Guess you have to figure out what works for you and run with it.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I switched to a release trigger after developing the "twitch"...... for me it was instant and love at 1st release.... 1st 2 rounds shooting with a KX-5 with a release trigger was 24,24 .... needless to say ... it works for me. I will also add I had a couple of oupps with it, forgot to set the trigger a couple times, had a lost bird and released before resetting for another bird. Bottom line, totally safe because I practice basic gun safety, finger is never on the trigger unless pointing downrange. Also learned how to reach over and pull the release lever on my gun to open the chamber allowing me to release the trigger without firing.. if ya twitch... it's time to switch...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I switched to a release trigger after developing the "twitch"...... for me it was instant and love at 1st release.... 1st 2 rounds shooting with a KX-5 with a release trigger was 24,24 .... needless to say ... it works for me. I will also add I had a couple of oupps with it, forgot to set the trigger a couple times, had a lost bird and released before resetting for another bird. Bottom line, totally safe because I practice basic gun safety, finger is never on the trigger unless pointing downrange. Also learned how to reach over and pull the release lever on my gun to open the chamber allowing me to release the trigger without firing.. if ya twitch... it's time to switch...
I agree, if gun safety rules are practiced properly, there is never any danger to anyone no matter what kind of trigger.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The biggest mistake I’ve seen is When people try to borrow a gun at the range to give it a try.

This compounds the issue: different feeling/fitting gun and an unfamiliar trigger process.

Recommend you find a gun you can take home for a few days. Several sessions with a snap cap dry firing in the evenings will help you feel more comfortable. Swing and practice the release movement. Release the trigger by exaggerating/pointing your trigger at a spot on the wall or back yard fence.

When you get to the range see if you can shoot a round by yourself on post 3.

Once you go thru this or some other process to familiarize yourself, the transition will be very quick. Took me less than 100 targets to become a convert.

YMMV

V/r
Maxey

·
Registered
257 Posts
The major advantage is that is solves a flinching issue, or other problems pulling a trigger. My transition was very quick and necessary. Some people have a tougher time converting. I would not have even tried a release if I wasn't having problems pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
They are great for speeding up the rate in which the trap house needs to be repainted

Reactions: JACK and phatkaw

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BS! Why is your gun pointed at the traphouse? Non release shooters need to STFU and leave the release shooters alone!
I have seen it happen twice, both times were release shooters that had switched to a pull gun and forgot what they were doing and shot the house. but I have also seen more times than that a pull trigger shooter get anxious and shoot the house so its not release shooters in general.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
BS! Why is your gun pointed at the traphouse? Non release shooters need to STFU and leave the release shooters alone!
Sarcasm, you guys are toucher than Joe Biden in a hair salon. I have seen it 3 times, all the R on the bottom of the gun. That said it is not the triggers fault its the shooter fault.

·
Registered
296 Posts
What are the advantages of a release trigger? Sorry F'in new guy question. :bigdeal:
Most switch to it due to a flinch. I also think it's a smoother release, you can't jerk a release trigger. I can switch back and forth between a pull trigger and a release, and for that matter, I can shoot skeet with my sxs hunting guns and double triggers. I don't think it's some big learning curve to shoot one. I put my release in my KX6 yesterday and broke 25 five minutes later.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts