Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Sounds like a real bad idea. Some things you just let the pros handle.

My suggestion:

Phillip's Gunsmithing

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
seems like a guy with good machining ability and an understanding of how a trigger works would be able to handle it

·
Registered
22,848 Posts
seems like a guy with good machining ability and an understanding of how a trigger works would be able to handle it
I know a couple of guys who did. One was Jim ***** who now builds them for the rest of us if we want. Another built a few but it was a fuss so he quit. A competent mechanic with good spatial visualization and a basic knowledge of how release triggers work can build a fine trigger but it is a lot of hassle with a file and hacksaw. CNC machines, plasma cutters, and a whole lot of machine experience in holding TIGHT tolerances help too.

Don T

·
Registered
144 Posts
Dumb question... How do you disengage a release trigger on an 870? I know for an o/u you open the action, just don't know how they work on a pump gun

·
Registered
298 Posts
If I remember, u have to hold the trigger and pull the for end release button and tilt the gun up a little and the action will open .it has been 25 yrs.since I saw some one shoot an 870 with release trigger. Some correct me if I am wrong .

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
The difficulty with making a release trigger is that, while you can have a pull trigger with a heavier pull weight and a longer sear engagement; release triggers requires a much lighter release weight and very little sear engagement. The tolerances have to be perfect and the settings are critical to allow a smooth, fast release without the danger of the gun accidentally firing when the trigger is set. Not a good project for amateurs.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm asking because I did make mine didn't seem all that hard to make getting the timing down was a bit of a task but seems to work as well or better than the one I had done

1 - 8 of 8 Posts