Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Vendor
19,783 Posts
Chovyman. Teh vast majority of Release shooters acclimate to whatever release they try and use. That said a few of us never regain our prior target breaking ability that we had with pull. So, think about ti a while before you switch. Those that have flinch issues and correct with the release are fortunate.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
As a very broad and general recommendation, if you're under 50 stay with a pull trigger until you start having problems. If you're over 60, you might as well start with a release trigger, you're probably going to need it in the near future.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
When I started shooting trap the first thing I noticed was that most shotguns
had very bad pull triggers, when compared to the triggers on target rifles. I fine tuned
the trigger on my shotgun, got rid of the creep and gave it a light consistent weight
of pull. After that no problems. HMB

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Stick with the pull. Have a qualified trigger man give it a tune up. Learn what is causing you to even consider going with a RT. If the main reason is clubhouse advice, stop listening to it and find yourself someone that will help you with your bad habits. Shoot lighter loads or you will end up with a RT and the same problems from before.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I am 60 years old now with RA I shoot a pull trigger but this year I am starting to have problems. After 50 or so rounds I start having a sticky trigger problem, well I was thinking that it really was the trigger so I took it over to the Cardinal Center and had a gun smith take a look at it. He cleaned it up and told me the trigger was working fine I still wasn't sure but after 3 or 4 weeks went by with the same problem I am now thinking its not the trigger its me and the RA is getting to my fingers again and making them not work like they should. The guys at the club where I shoot at all the time can tell that I am having a big problem when they are shooting with me.......... I call for a target my mine is telling me to pull the trigger but my trigger finger will not pulling the trigger. So the guys are telling me maybe its time to go with a Release trigger. So I am still on the fence do I go with a Release trigger or not, so this weekend I am going to a shoot and try my pull trigger again, if I still having problems I am going to send the gun in to have a release trigger put in at the end of the season.

I am also a long range rifle shooter and this is why I am having a hard time telling myself to go with a release trigger. I don't have this problem with my rifles, they all have 1 oz trigger on them.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
A good friend of mine, who was a very good shooter btw..BLEW an entire target year going back and forth..Pull...Release...Tried Pull again...Back to Release...etc,etc.
When you're shooting good enough that one or two targets lost to flinching in a 100 bird event is a problem...get a quality release, learn to shoot it, and don't look back.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Try one before you change yours. If it helps you then do it. There are many success stories out there where releases saved a shooters shooting career. Maybe yours is one of them.

It turned mine around.

Don

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Try one before you change yours. If it helps you then do it. There are many success stories out there where releases saved a shooters shooting career. Maybe yours is one of them.

It turned mine around.

Don
im with big don, if I didn't have a release I wouldn't be shooting anything.

jack mc

·
Registered
547 Posts
The first thing I noticed going to a release was that it was so fast. Seemed I was shooting behind the targets. The gun was going off a few milliseconds too soon. Once I pulled in front of the target more everything went smooth and never looked back. learning to shoot a double release took some getting used to. The last time I shot doubles was in 85 and took home a Grand trophy in shoot off. Could have never done this WO a release.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Dickgtax's reply is comical to me but has a lot of truth to it. As BigDon said try it to see what the affect is. I should have gone to one long ago.
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
After about 8 years of not shooting, I found myself older, with a lot of anticipated expectations. I decided to go to a release because I was getting so wired up that I was losing targets that were relatively easy. Now when I'm ready to shoot the clay, I'm more relaxed.

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
50% who try release probably see an improvement in their shooting, 25% find they either can't set it or release it without flinching worse and the other 25% still suck. It's only money!!

·
Premium Member
6,022 Posts
Is it pretty much personal preference or is there some real difference?
Thanks
Michael
Bad triggers, poor visual mechanics, poor gun fit, poor mental focus, poor set up are some of the reasons that shooters go to a release when if their problem/problems were properly addressed, wouldn't be necessary. They think the release solved all their problems regardless of whether it did or not simply because now the gun more or less goes boom when the want it to. Its just easier with less effort.

Some do to their nervous system, certain health related issues and a lifetime of related issues have to in order to go boom.

Depending on trigger technique, shooters can do reasonably well scoring with pretty raunchy pull triggers. But if a release isn't right for you, there aren't going to be many good days. Plus its harder to detect a release that needs attention than a pull IMO.

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
I would recommend getting a release trigger for the 1100. They are $100-$150 here. Borrow the proper model gun if you don't already have one, and install the trigger. Shoot it a little, if you like it, get your gun converted. If not, sell the trigger here.

I did that, shot the RT for a while. I am also a defensive trainer, and decided to go back to pull. I used self hypnosis to get rid of the "yips". Brain says pull, finger lightly touches trigger, gun does not fire.

·
Sky Buster
4,170 Posts
Just SLAP the trigger at the proper time. Problem solved.
I shot a pull trigger for app. 15 years with no problems. Then, I started flinching.
Being unable to pull the trigger at the right time and sometimes being unable to
pull the trigger at all. There is no explanation to describe why this occurs. I
have competed in rifle and pistol tournaments for years and never flinch. I was
forced to go to a release if I wanted to keep shooting. The release trigger solved
99% of my problem. Another benefit is that I get the target a little quicker
out of the house than when shooting a pull trigger. I have tried several times
to revert back to a pull trigger but cannot do so. Be advised that a slow release
trigger can be as troublesome as a pull trigger if you are flinch prone. I have
been shooting release triggers for at least 15 years. If the release trigger was
banned, I would be out of the game.

·
Registered
570 Posts
There are two things that every shooter will benefit from, one is a release trigger. You don't have to need a release to get one. It's a more natural way to shoot and requires you to relax your hand and not to pull the trigger. The reason most shooters use pull is they start out with one and learn to shoot a pull. The other thing is a recoil device. I'm 60 and here is what I notice, there are fewer trigger problem with people that shoot release before they have finch problems, second it crazy to shoot a gun with out a recoil device if your shooting a lot. Recoil cause damage to your body, we really don't know what causes a finch, but some think recoil has something to do with it. So put away the three gram shells, buy a good gun with a good trigger(pull or release) and put a recoil device on it. Shoot lite loads and if you buy a new gun get it with a release if you have shot for a few years and know that your going to keep shooting for a long time. If you buy that nice gun then it also worth it to put on a recoil device (I really notice it while shooting the last 25 of a 200 bird event) and your be smooth the last 25 as you were on the front 25. That's a great feeling!!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts