Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a release trigger. For a shooter with little experience with a release what trigger set and release settings would you recommend (in pounds)?

AJ

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
More important than the set and release weight is how fast the
release hook disengages the
hammer. It should be instantaneous with a minimum of travel, without risking an accidental release when setting the trigger or tracking the target.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
In his book, Daro Handy recommends that the release trigger should have a little bit of forward movement before it goes off so that you get a feel for when the gun will fire. I was told that Ray Stafford has his release triggers set to go off at 26 oz. The problem with a trigger that is too fast is that by the time you catch up with the target, your gun is already empty.

·
Ljutic Nut
2,940 Posts
I have a MX trigger that was Ray Stafford's. The set on it is 72 oz and the release is 50 oz with zero creep. When I got my Precision Trigger Jim set it up at 72 set and 40 oz release.

My Ljutic LTX trigger is set at 72 set and 40 oz release. These are fast triggers. I don't know if they are right but they are what works for me.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Everybody's "feelers" are different!! I set Carrol Hildebrand's trigger at 6 1/2 lbs set, 3 1/2 lbs release with the standard Alfermann "0" creep. I have also set them at 4lb set, 1 lb release. 4 set and 2 release is standard on most Alfermanns. Frank Hoppie liked this setting.
YOUR results will vary, as do many triggers. ..........merlyn

·
Sky Buster
4,165 Posts
Everybody's "feelers" are different!! I set Carrol Hildebrand's trigger at 6 1/2 lbs set, 3 1/2 lbs release with the standard Alfermann "0" creep. I have also set them at 4lb set, 1 lb release. 4 set and 2 release is standard on most Alfermanns. Frank Hoppie liked this setting.
YOUR results will vary, as do many triggers. ..........merlyn
5 lb set and 3lb release works best for me.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I have my releases set at 88 oz and release at 28 oz. I have tried 80 oz set and 32 oz release, but found that was much too fast for me. A very fast trigger will cause most release shooters to short shoot the hard angles due to the fact that they release the trigger as soon as the barrel/bead catches up to the target without allowing any "lead" on the target when they let it go. Same holds true when shooting doubles as many times it will cause you to shoot low and behind the second target because the gun went off before you had the right lead on the second target. A slower trigger will allow you to catch up to the target and actually swing through the target before the gun goes off. I firmly believe that most shooters that shoot a fast release trigger are shooting a trigger they have no control over. You MUST have total trigger control over a release trigger to be effective with it on a consistent basis...

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Excuse me, that is absolute nonsense. There is no reason to short shoot a hard angle with a fast release anymore than with a fast pull trigger. A slow release, on the other hand, is an invitation to flinch, because the trigger doesn't respond when you think it should. The biggest problem with a fast release is that some shooters may relax their trigger finger and have the gun fire before they intended. Most release shooter like no creep and fairly fast release. Some like a slower release, but there is no generality that you can determine which is best for you. Try different ones. Personally, I prefer a very fast, zero creep trigger.

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Excuse me, that is absolute nonsense. There is no reason to short shoot a hard angle with a fast release anymore than with a fast pull trigger. A slow release, on the other hand, is an invitation to flinch, because the trigger doesn't respond when you think it should. The biggest problem with a fast release is that some shooters may relax their trigger finger and have the gun fire before they intended. Most release shooter like no creep and fairly fast release. Some like a slower release, but there is no generality that you can determine which is best for you. Try different ones. Personally, I prefer a very fast, zero creep trigger.
That's partially why they started to flinch in the first place, by trying to force the gun to fire when they wanted it to.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts

A very fast trigger may be just the ticket, for you. But, to compare a fast release to a fast pull trigger is like apple and oranges. I have never seen a release shooter that shoots a slower release flinch because the trigger doesn't respond as he thinks it should. If a shooter knows his trigger, and is comfortable with the speed it's set, a slower trigger is NOT an invitation to flinch any more than a faster on is. I think you will seriously have to rethink that statement. I will agree that most shooters shoot a faster release, with no creep (none of us want any creep in our triggers, do we?)but, that does allow them to have better trigger control. The very fact that some shooters may relax their fingers and have the gun fire before they intended is the very essence of my statement. If they do this, they will continually short shoot the target when it does. You prefer a fast trigger, while I prefer a slower one... I also agree he should try different ones to make his own decision...

Reactions: phatkaw

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Kolar factory release.......5lb set.....28oz release.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts