Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how many trap shooters on the forum use a release trigger?

What constitutes a "flinch", I have heard some people who "jerk" at the target, some who "cannot pull the trigger".

At what point does a flinch (or describe your definition) require a release e.g. 3 "flinches" in 100, 5 in s 100?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I flinched so much to the point I was doing it at least 15x out of 100. Many times I could not pull the trigger. It amazed me. I never thought this could happen to me. If it weren't for an elderly gentleman that watched me shoot several rounds; I would have just given up. He said that he went through the same thing years ago and found that the solution was a release trigger. I told him that I always felt that if I had to go to a release trigger I would quit shooting. He then said; "well then quit". I am so thankful to him. He convinced me to convert to a release. It allowed me to enjoy shooting again during my retirement years. He since has passed away; but I am thankful to "Bob" for his advice and guidance. Get the release and enjoy shooting good scores again. Good luck. Ed

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
I would think if you are losing 2 birds per hundred due to a flinch, that would be to many.

esoxhunter, Last night I had a friend tell me he would quit before going to a release. He said he couldn't do it.

Well, I'd like to have 5 bucks for every trapshooter who said, "I can't do it" and then later on find out that they can. And more than likely shoot better with the release trigger.

I've known a lot of shooters over the years who don't think they can and are damned fine shots now while shooting a release.

My friend ask me how I adjusted to it.

I knew I was flinching and had sent my Model 12 trigger away to what's his name in Kansas.

Got it back on a Saturday before a shoot and didn't have a chance to try it out till the ATA shoot the next day.

Before that, I'd never shot over a 92 on 16s, but that day with my new release, I went out and shot a 97. I thought "Wow", this is going to be okay and never looked back.

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Started out when I was about 16 yrs old with a release just because that's what the gun had. Fast forward almost 40 yrs and still using one. Quit shooting in 2003 to raise a family and just started back up this past winter. Thought I needed a new shotgun so bought one without a release, even after not shooting for a dozen years my brain remained hardwired for a release. Once the sub-conscious kicked in it wanted to "let go" of a pull trigger , then play hell catching back up to actually pull the trigger. Just convert over to the dark side (not the other web site either---lol) and you will never look back

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I had no problem at all adjusting to the release. It made shooting fun again. Flinching and breaking $hit scores is not fun! However, when I converted to a double release; it was a different story. Took me well over a thousand rounds to be somewhat proficient with it. If it weren't for the fact that I'm a bullheaded German; I would have give up on the double release. Then I got to thinking; what is the difference in setting the trigger for the second shot and shooting a pump action gun? When one shoots a pump, you never think about pumping the gun for the second shot. It just happens. Same with the double release. I use a double release for sporting clays and don't even think about setting the trigger for that second shot. Amazing how a persons mind can adjust.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I want to "try" shooting a release trigger.
What's the best way, go to an ATA event and look for a demo gun with a release?
My gun came with the hammers, parts, etc for release but I don't want to mess around with it until I've gone for a test drive

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
BSD, I think the best thing would be to ask someone you know who has a release in his gun and see if he'd let you shoot it. Most guys will try and help a fellow shooter out.

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
yeah, I don't know anyone at my local club with a release trigger, or I would have tried that first

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
All to often folks make the change when it wasn't necessary. Hold points, eye acuity, mental focus and stamina all play an intricate part. Sure you can now fire the shot when you want, but did you really need to change?

Then there are those that just do to the repeated abuse to your body and/or hard wiring, there simply not much option.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Personally I have been flinching once or twice per 100. but I don't have recoil issues or cheek bruising.
I don't know what causes it, it's basically just a mental fart.

Even without a flinch, I like the post here that detailed this as a better user interface.
With 20+ years of software development I've spent a great deal of time designing screens and various front ends to software
Simply the cognitive psychology aspect is intriguing, is the release a better way to shoot trap for everyone?
Once on target, one just "lets go"? Seems logical...
That's why I would like to simply try shooting a release.

·
Banned
890 Posts
I know a couple of really good shooters that do not, nor ever have had a flinching problem. They use a release because it feels better to them. I had a flinching problem and went to a double release and the flinch disappeared. Now I would not go back to a pull trigger if I knew the flinch was gone forever.

Reactions: Pprince

·
Vendor
19,091 Posts
Frank Little saw me crossfire at a clinic. He told me to get a release. Regretted it ever since.

That said, I do OK with the release. Not as good as when I pulled the trigger, but getting better all the time. My high scores this season are 96 at singles and 89 from the 26.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts