Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like opinions on buying a double release trigger.

Please don't reply unless you shoot one or if you have shot one. Thanks

I am thinking about putting a Release/Release trigger in my K80.

For some reason I have this flinching problem the last 6 months.

I am not sure my flinching isn't coming from losing site of the target.

I am loosing 8 to 10 targets for 100 sporting clays.

Thanks everyone.

·
Vendor
251 Posts
I shoot one for sporting as well as trap. No issues at all. Before you make the switch, check your pull trigger to make sure that the poundage isn't way off, which can be the cause of a flinch. Factory specs are 3 1/2 lbs on the bottom, 3 3/4 on the top.

If you do go with a release, have it installed by Krieghoff or an authorized Krieghoff service center.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I see more and more release triggers on SC courses. A couple years ago I was at Sarasota and there was a backup on a station, my Beretta 303 was one of six in the rack with a release sticker on it.

Pat

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I shoot a Beretta 682 with double release triggers for sporting clays. At first I used a release/pull. That resulted in a release/flinch. Skeets Gun Shop in Oklahoma did my Beretta double release trigger. Phillip Crenwelge converted my trap gun to a release. (Krieghoff KS-5 Special). I would recommend either one to convert your triggers. Good Luck. Ed

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I used a release when I made team USA in 1987 in sporting. And many time all American in trap and sporting Gene Sears also used a release. Double release is the only way to go, don't get talked into trying a release/pull.

I have used a release after my first year of trap shooting in 1977 to present.

Tom

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
2015 National Sporting Clays champion Bubba Walton shoots a release. I've been shooting one for 10 years. Same reason:
4 or 5 flinches a round. I talked my shooting buddy into switching to one and it got him to AA.

·
Registered
150 Posts
We must be related. I just bought a DR for my Perazzi mirage. I used to shoot a release on trap, but now I shoot mainly sporting, now with a K-80. I'm going to try the DR in the perazzi for awhile before I go to the k-80 since I can't just pop a trigger in and out of the k-80. It's a big deal on the k-80. I don't flinch much, but I do some. So, here I go with a release. In general, I think a release trigger is easier to shoot on singles. Sporting clays, however, are following pairs, or doubles, and a release for the 2nd shot adds a little more complexity, in my opinion. So, I'm going to try a DR for sporting, but the jury is still out for me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have shot a release/release in skeet for about 3 years or so. Tried it in sporting clays, but not for me. I don't seem to need to shoot a release in sporting. Lately I have been working on a new skeet stock set up and shot pull triggers again during the fitting (new gun and didn't have release trigger in it at the time). I found that I could shoot the pull triggers and didn't flinch, but I shot the release better for me (more consistent, better shot placement)... so that is what I am shooting. As for the flinch and how or whether a release trigger will help, determining why you flinch is critical. Is it vision issues? Recoil? Need for perfection (e.g., several top skeet shooters I have spoken with shoot release now because they are so focused on shooting a perfect lead they can't pull the trigger if the lead is not perfect). In any event, certainly you can shoot a release trigger in sporting if that is helpful for you. Good luck. W

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I used a release when I made team USA in 1987 in sporting. And many time all American in trap and sporting Gene Sears also used a release. Double release is the only way to go, don't get talked into trying a release/pull.

I have used a release after my first year of trap shooting in 1977 to present.

Tom
I've been shooting with Gene sence 1996 most of the time we were the only ones shooting releases, now I've lost my shooting buddy due to his eyes going bad on him. jack mc

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have been shooting double releases in sporting clays for about 10 years, without them I would have needed to quit shooting. Like others have said save yourself a lot of time and go with double releases. I too give a thumbs up for either Skeets or Phillip. about half the price of Kreighoff.

Buster

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
I am not sure my flinching isn't coming from losing site of the target.
That's EXACTLY what causes me to flinch, and nothing else.

Congratulations on being self-aware and diagnosing what could be the possible problem. I find that most shooters are not able to do this.

Also, don't be afraid of going to a release trigger if the flinching continues.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
If ever a sport for calling for the target with the head raised and gun slightly off the shoulder, this is it.

Give it a try before going release.
Well said and so true.

I actually went to a low gun style in sporting because of the increased visibility. Only targets I shoot pre-mounted are trap presentations.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I've become a target rider. I decided to go to a double release, which allows me to put a saddle on the target and shoot it when I can, without flinching.

·
Registered
154 Posts
as other said if you switch go to a double release if you don't you will within a year and have to go thru learning curve again

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
I've become a target rider.
Be careful with this...it can easily morph from "a target rider" into "a lead measurer". Virtually every shooter I have ever worked with that "rode targets" was because they liked to "double check" their lead before pulling the trigger.

THIS IS ALWAYS BAD!

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Knowing who Andy Bull is, I don't think he needs much shooting advice-except maybe from shooters like McGuire, Matarese, etc. I will say this, Brad Kidd, former National champion and currently one of the top shooters, does ride the target, even to the point where you think he forgot to shoot. Riding the target often allows you to shoot it when it's slowed down and and at the shortest angle. For a lot of people, it's an invitation to flinch, but if you can do it, it has its benefits.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Thanks dickgshot. I still shoot some targets fast, but not as fast as I used to. Having been out of the sport for over 8 years, I found myself with a young mindset, but not physically able to shoot as I used to, because of age and lack of practice. This along with not having as keen an eyesight, made me be somewhat more careful while shooting at some target presentations, which made me jerk away from a target or two in 100. I decided to go the release trigger way, although I can still shoot a pull trigger without flinching.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts