Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know, it seems, of gunsmiths that do fine work and/or sell fine products nationally like Allor, Wilkinson, and Flynn with his high quality gunsprings and Glen Rock that has a fine reputation for bluing...but...there must be many gunsmiths in smaller communities that do fine work and are known best in their own areas.

This comes to mind while I was kicking around in the Bigfork MT. area last week. I saw a sign for Woodsbay Gunsmithing, Dan Majerus proprieter. I stopped by his home/shop located near Flathead Lake. Mr. Majerus was not home, he was "testing" guns according to his wife. His wife then told me that Dan has developed a very good technique on site with which he case colors guns. She showed me the shop and some sample work. Looked great, and she was quite aware of the technical difficulties (metal change and dimensional change) with case coloring. So...I was impressed and got to thinking: There must be many fine and relatively unknown gunsmiths "out there" that could be of great service to trapshooters in particular.

So..perhaps a list of names and services derived from readers at this site would be helpful and, I am curious, does anybody else at this site know of an Majerus and of his work? Such a list and rating etc. might be a good service for all.

Thanks,

David, Los Angeles, Calif.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Proper color casing is a real art. Especially for those restoring firearms of the old west. Winchester, Stevens, Marlin, etc., all had different patterns because of their differing techniques.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I had this company install a mid bead after mine broke off in a rain storm so bad that I thought I was going to need a snorkel.

He did it in less than 24 hours turn around so I could have it for a competition the next day.

The quality of work as well as the service was beyond outstanding and I would not hesitate to have him do all my gunsmithing.

http://www.sycamorehilldesigns.com/index.html

Rochester, NY

·
Registered
72 Posts
Glenn Hunting in Odessa (Silver Dollar) seems to be the favorite for shooters in out club in North Central FL (Robinson ranch). Has done really good work for me.

Bill Thomas

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Altho most know Chris Vendel as a shooter he also does gunsmithing. Works on custom parts like smaller beads to hone your skills, and even makes chokes for some makes of guns.

I will be talking to him soon for chokes for my Joel Etchen combo I just picked up.

Jerry Lewis

·
Supporting Vendor
9,953 Posts
Kirby Schupp for sure! He's often my "go to" guy and he's a real nice fella to boot. See link above.

·
Premium Member
3,905 Posts
barrelbulge and doc boc ther you go giving out Mikes name! How we gonna get our guns fixed if he gets to busy! Although I will admit he is the best at all of it. JM2C Bill

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I quess I will have to call My name here.

Al Lingham,

I have 40 years hands on, while bluing is my shops specialty.

I also do repairs,

Al

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.