Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year and a 1/2 ago I bought a San Remo on gunbroker. It was a very early gun but I thought it would be a good project. It is serial # 369 I beleive it was the end of the first year production. I'll start with pics of the original gun then go to the views of the rehab. Some of the pics are a little blurry but if you look past the photo lack of quality I think most would agree it came out fairly nice. Bulge.

Items changed on the gun were:
K-80 wood added(I don't know the grade of the wood.
K-80 triggerguard with gold bird.
K-80 unsingle barrel, 34" with Briley spectrum tube.
Internal were changed to K-80 along with the trigger shoe being gold plated.
The finish on the gun was done by me after a few conversations with Bill Mains(R.I.P.) he was generous enough to share with me his knowledge and advice.
The triggerguard and the K-80 internals were purchased from fellow trapshooters on this site.Thanks to all of you. If anyone knows the grade of the wood please share that info.
One more item I want to change is the top latch. I am looking for a latch with a Lab. on it. Thanks for looking, Bulge.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
NICE GUN CAME OUT GREAT!!

IN 1968 MY FRIEND ROCCO PICKED ME UP IN HIS NEW CADDY ELDORADO FIRST YEAR FRONT WHEEL DRIVE CAR.

WE DROVE TO NY TO ABACROMBIE AND FINCH GUN ROOM AND HE PURCHASED A SAN REMO IT WAS 1300.00 NEW THEN

I TOLD HIM HE COULD BUY 6 MODEL 12'S FOR THAT PRICE HE DID NOT CARE I WAS A M12 SHOOTER IN THOSE DAYS.

LOOKING BACK WHAT IS WORTH MORE A SAN REMO OR 6 M12 WINCHESTERS THEY WERE 227.00 BACK THEN.

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Bulge, I bought one nearly identical to that about 2 years ago. S/N 3428. I shoot it with a top single and the O/U for doubles. Just a fantastic gun. I absolutely love the thing. I just got a one yard punch to the 25 yard line shooting the single barrel last month in ATA. I bought a K-80 Wenig stock from a guy (that is just beautiful) that makes it even nicer.

One word of caution, your headspace appears to be very small if none at all in the first photo. You might want to have Krieghoff take a look at the headspace and how dangerous that is...also, get a new camera dude...

Kevin

·
Registered
12,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kevin, it's not the camera. It's the old man operating it. Not as steady as I once was. Just had the barrel fitted to the gun.

·
Registered
12,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still looking for the grade of wood if anyone knows it.
Want to buy a top latch with a lab retriever on it, or another bird that would fit in with the gun. If anyone does gold inlays I want to have the birds on the gun plated or something. To finish I would like to have the border line on the receiver done in gold if anyone does that that posts on here. Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
I think the grade of the wood is going to depend upon its age. I say that because when I owned my K-80, I paid Ottsville $700 for what they called "Grade 1-1/2" wood and it was just slightly nicer than yours. Later, I bought two new Model 32 Vandalia Rib top single combos from Hal DuPont, one with Super Scroll grade wood and the other with a higher grade that escapes me right now. It was pictured on a gun in the K-80 section of Krieghoff's catalog across two pages - blond with a lot of dark lines running the full length of the forend and buttstock. KI verified that the wood was the same and that they shipped the gun in the catalog to DuPont, who obviously removed the wood from it to sell separately.

Based upon my experience with Krieghoff wood, I'm tempted to call yours standard grade but again, that depends upon when it was made. Twenty-five years ago, K-80s came with some very plain stuff and it was only after hearing grumbling from customers that they started putting nicer wood on their guns. I used to shoot with a lot of Krieghoff and K-80 shooters - we at times had full squads of them - and comparing yours to mine and theirs, I think it's standard grade or that grade 1-1/2 stuff like mine that has more figure than standard grade did at that time but not enough for Super Scroll grade.

Regardless, that's a gorgeous gun!

Ed

1 - 19 of 19 Posts