Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys.. I've decided this is really going to be my sport, as my competitive golf is coming to an end. I joined the ATA last year but only got a few registered targets in. I read where a lot of guys on here shoot several thousand registered targets each year. My question is how do are you able to register so many? My local club is only open 4 days a week, only offer registered targets one day a week, and are closed for 4 months in the winter. My goal is to shoot at the Grand next year, but I'm concerned about getting enough registered targets in. Sorry for the stupid question, but how do you guys do it?

Thanks

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
Travel. A LOT. I shot 10,800 registered last target year. I work a full time job and have a family. Wife likes the time to do what she wants, and my only step son that still lives with us is 18, so he doesn't miss me much either. I am gone most every weekend, and several weekdays throughout the season. Shooting at one local club you will have a very tough time getting many targets.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Draw a 1 - 2 hour radius around your home and go to ATA website and look up all the clubs near you and check their shoot schedules for registered targets. If you have winter, in the spring they start Big 50's, Marathons, regular day shoots, and State shoots. We travel about an hour radius and compete a few times a month from spring through fall. Winter here in the northeast is just winter league shooting, and most of the time you can register those targets. Good luck and have fun! Steve

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
As stated above. We used to have a small club that would have an ATA shoot every 2 weeks in the winter here in Michigan, called it the Snowbird, we usually had 30-50 shooters at every shoot. Sometimes the conditions were brutal, but we shot, it didn't seem to make much difference to our yearly averages.

Pat

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
You have to be willing to travel. The closest Gun Clubs to me are about an hour away. One shoots only 3 or 4 shoots per year. The one other shoots once a month but not always. There are two others I shoot at . Both are 2 hours away. and hold shoots 8 months a year with one holding 2 each month. Attend some large shoots. State shoots are a good example.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Travel. A LOT. I shot 10,900 registered last target year. I work a full time job and have a family. Wife likes the time to do what she wants, and my only step son that still lives with us is 18, so he doesn't miss me much either. I am gone most every weekend, and several weekdays throughout the season. Shooting at one local club you will have a very tough time getting many targets.
Jesus, that's a lot of targets...I wish I could shoot half that much.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Same boat, closest club that shoots registered is three hours away, and only 3 shoots a year. Only others are 5 hours away @ the minimum. As well, we have a short weather driven season. ATA reg. targets are a thing of the past up here. A lot of the small clubs who shot registered 20 years ago, do not bother now. I was away from the sport for 20 years and got back into it last year. Re-joined the ATA and then found out what wasn't available to shoot. Not renewing this year and will continue to shoot for fun @ our local small (and I mean small) club.

·
Registered
624 Posts
It comes down to my location, I have a number of clubs within an hours drive. So I try to shoot every weekend. I am fortunate. I will travel to at least three larger shoots this year. You can rack up a lot of targets over a week long shoot at 300 per day. I shot a little over 8,000 in the last ATA year and missed three months in the spring due to an injury.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. It looks like I'll be racking up as many miles as targets. I've seen a few shoots a couple hours from me coming up but I don't have any registered targets yet. So I'm not sure how that would work. Thanks guys

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure if I would be allowed to shoot without a handicap established. I'm obviously new to all of this. I've only shot in local leagues since I started last year

·
Registered
343 Posts
Most of the smaller shoots that we shoot in don't have any target requirments. You should have been given a 20 handicap when you singed up. Gotta start somewhere.

·
Registered
343 Posts
This is a copy of the program for the Ga. Hall of Fame Shoot last weekend. No qualification targets mentioned and no penalty yardage was given.
Ga. Hall of Fame.jpg

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
Shoot targets only till you get an average established. That's what I did when I first started.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
We all "started" somewhere\sometime, don't worry, just ask,---watch---listen. This is a great sport 99% of shooters will be happy to help a new shooter. Lots of good people and info right here on TS. ENJOY Ross Puls

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Like Gussers said, Travel travel Travel.. I live in northern Il. ATA shoots are all I shoot, 80-90 miles one way to most clubs, travel to State shoots in illinois, iowa, wisconsin, Most clubs are closed all winter so from October thru march its loading shells for spring n summer, Shoot every weekend at one of the clubs holding registered shoots, i also work full time so going to a shoot is like vacation time, most Sundays i am shooting from April till october, was lucky enough to go to Florida in March and shoot the southern grand and florida state shoot, there back to back !I usually can get plenty of targets in before winter and spring, So go shooting, have fun...Steve

1 - 20 of 27 Posts