Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In talking to many shooters, it seems the answer to "Are you ready to start ATA shooting?" is, more often than not, "Aw, I don't know."

With favorite shoots being canceled and a lot of wait and see, quite a few guys are becoming very apathetic about this season. While we're currently shooting for-fun and some jackpot events here in MN, there seems to be less and less excitement about getting back into registered shoots. This covid crap is knocking the hell out of our sport this summer.

Are you seeing that in your area?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I can’t speak for everyone, but the ones I have talked to are wanting to get back out to the club and start shooting. They are sick of being stuck at home and I don’t blame them. I want to shoot registered and get back into my normal summers, I’m willing to travel whatever distance to do so. Call it crazy or call it passion.. I just want to shoot
-Chase Horton

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've seen the hunger for fields to open up as several did here recently and they are busier than ever. I think the apathy is really mixed as is the response to COVID. Looking at the ages of shooters, that should be the case. I think some can't wait and others (especially those at risk - lot of mature shooters one or two with a couple extra lbs and/or smoke) have to weigh the risk of being in a large crowd. Half of the fun of tournaments for those of us who like to compete but aren't on the podium every weekend is the social aspect. That will be diminished no matter what per state and other requirements. I personally will be at the first local tournament, but respect everyone's decision.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
My home trap club and my home skeet club have both canceled registered shoots so far... That sucks !

What sucks even worse is my freakin' job has been canceled because of this Corona $h!t.
I shot up just about all of my shells and components and money, but I sure hope ATA shooting (and NSSA) resumes !

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Denny I have not seen it like that in my area .But then again I really don`t mingle with just recreational shooters . I shot an ATA big 50 on the 16th of March and 300 ATA Dbls at Sedalia on April 26th . KCTA has been open for practice but I have chosen not to have to jump through their hoops of special crap just to shoot practice so I have stayed home . I`m down 3,000 ATA targets so far this year .

·
Registered
14,800 Posts
Kinda tough to make plans (vacation time, hotels, cars, plane tickets, ammo) for registered shoots when you don't know if they'll even happen.

I can't imagine too many people are excited to get on to a plane when you need to wear a mask from the time you enter the origin airport to the time you leave the destination airport (plus you could show up, have your temp be too high, and be refused entry, so you'll flush how much $ in non-refundable deposits...)

I would guess a significant number of shooters for whom the season should have already started have written off most or all of the entire season. I'm basically in that boat, I will likely shoot the state shoot this year IF it happens, and that's basically only out of a sense of obligation of being a director for the state association.

I think we'll look back in 5 years and see this as a watershed year, there will be a large number of shooters who shot in 2019 who are gone by 2021. People will find different ways to spend their free time this summer (potentially more enjoyable, and likely much cheaper), and it will be extremely difficult for them to get back into the swing of things.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Well Denny,

It would seem to me that many of us forgot what it was like to have plenty of spare time and plenty of disposable cash around. I bought plenty of ammo lately, but haven't bought a target or pulled a trigger in 2020. There may just be a world beyond shooting that is kind of like fun and relaxing. I guess I will get over it and wait to see what the MTA and the ATA decide I should do with that extra time and cash. I will save a lot of money if they move the Grand to Elk River though. That might be the best of both worlds. I'm glad you thought of that.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
+1 for KS-OKIE on special crap.Their have been many studies in the past where people have had to change their habits,forced into a new groove and never turn back.I think you're gonna find people looking for clubs without "special crap" and not returning.
It isn`t the clubs fault . But when the county is your landlord they have no choice . What upsets me is [email protected]@@@@ Wal-Mart hasn`t missed a beat but I cannot go shoot outside without having to jump through hoops .

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Probably will be a lot of borderline shooters than have or will find something else to do with their time and money.

For me I finally got to shoot registered this past Saturday and Sunday and really thought there would have been more shooters there.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm not apathetic, I'm disappointed. Last year I shot over 10,000 registered targets. This year, not so much. I've basically written the rest of the year off as a loss. Like many other trapshooters, I'm in the demographic that should avoid the virus (age/health). Shooting on a squad of 5 is easy to practice social distancing due to the distance between posts. Between events it's not so easy and I like to shoot all 3 events. There is always the wait between events. Go in the club house and play cribbage? I don't think so. Sitting in my car alone doesn't sound like much fun. Guess I could shoot one event and go home. I sure hope this is better next year.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Can’t blame some folks for being careful given the circumstances and the flow of information or sometimes the lack thereof. However, for everyone that is being cautious, there are others who are willing to take a risk and shoot whenever they can. Whether they will extend the risk taking behavior to participate in bigger events is depending on how risk averse they are to begin with.

·
Registered
34,301 Posts
I have noticed a decline in registered shooting long before this virus thingy, but it has been due to closures of places to shoot, costs of shooting and travel and old age. I talk to people I have know for a long time and they seem to have money for shooting, but lack the enthusiasm and the energy it takes to travel.

I once figured after I retired, I would travel a lot and attend shoots across the country. I don’t even leave the State now. Places back East people can travel just a hour if two and find plenty of places. In Colorado, two places in that are 35 miles from me. I have to travel an additional 60 miles North or South to the next locations and another 60 beyond those to find places to shoot.

I think this virus has pushed a lot of people into a direction they were drifting a lot sooner.

·
Registered
25,720 Posts
I’ve been baffled by Colorado. The metro area where virtually all the people live can’t really support the two ATA clubs close in. We are lucky to get 70 shooters in our league and the other club doesn’t have a league. The non-ata club up north of the airport has perhaps 200 shooters in their league. It has been that way since well before I moved here so I don’t have a clue why.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
In a lot of ways I'm in the same boat as Skeet_Man, we didn't go to Tucson this year and looking back we probably should have.
I have either missed or will have missed 4 major shoots this year and got no practice for about 8 weeks in the prime part of the spring.
We usually do some local club shoots in the spring and head out for the bigger shoots starting with the Keystone, with that cancelled and our HoF shoot cancelled, WVA state shoot cancelled Maryland postponed until Sept and a fair amount of state shoots in the southern zone stacked on top of each other in July, there's no way we'll shoot as much as normal this year.
Most of the gun clubs in the state either closed or went to open for members but no ATA shoots during the lock down, my club basically closed for about 8 weeks but returned to normal shooting last week. We'll see how the next couple of week goes before making any serious travel plans, I doubt our state will open enough in the next couple of weeks with the clown governor we have.
Most of the state is still on either no gatherings of more than 10 or 25, or shelter at home depending on where you are, although the golf courses and beaches are open to a point.
The governor will announce a mandatory mask in public places order today. No idea how this will affect shooting outdoors in VA as legally he's not following the law.

Reactions: phatkaw

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm with Porthos on this, I've shot exactly 424,900 Registered Targets. No matter how you slice it, that's a bunch!!! Now, as enticing as being a member of the 500,000 club is, that's still 75,100 targets to go, and that's a bunch as well!!!

Let's break it down, if you shoot 10,000 Registered a year it takes 42.5 years to attain what I've got, and it'll take 7.5 years to get what I need to attain the 500K club. I have to ask myself do I want it that badly?

We humans will do something merely out of habit, until something breaks that habit, then perhaps we reassess, and question: Why? We might even ask ourselves: Are we enjoying what we are doing?, sometimes surprised at the honest answer that arrives.

I like to shoot. There's no doubt about that. I like to do other things too.

Be well.

·
Premium Member
6,613 Posts
I don't think it is because the club's are closed. We have competition from Clays. They are booming. We have a big shoot at my club this weekend. Also includes 5 stand and Skeet. Mainly Clays. I will be shooting Trap in 100+ degrees. Normal weather is back
Steve

1 - 20 of 50 Posts