Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son started shooting trap last year in July so about a year ago.He shots around 94 to 96 out of a hundred.At the last shoot he shot a 94 missed some targets he says he shouldn't of.Went to shoot practice rounds tonight owner of range said he had some people complain at the registered shoot he was shooting to slow.I am ones of those parents that can deal with criticism about my son with that said if he shoots to fast his scores fall off.He shot a 24 tonight first round they had him speed up and shot a 20!!He hasnt shot a 20 in a long time.Its not like he takes very long to shoot once he gets his hold point and visual point he calls pull.He don't know what to do.He don't want the older guys not to want to shoot with him as he is the only 17 year old shooting the registered shoots.What would you tell him?Thanks for the advise..

·
Registered
194 Posts
Do what I did when started. Get to know the fellow shooters. Pick a squad with the guys that are just there for fun. Or ask if they mind a newer shooter on squad. Some guys are jerks. Many of us want to see everyone enjoy and get more people involved.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Tell them when they start paying for your son's targets, THEN they can tell him how to shoot them.

Until then, Tell them to KEEP THEIR PIE-HOLE SHUT!!!

It's a$$holes like this that ruin a good time for new/intermediate shooters, sometimes running them off for good.

Don't let them intimidate you or your son! By the way, he's welcome to shoot with me anytime.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,764 Posts
Not to spoil the love fest here, but perhaps he is shooting too slowly and disrupting the rythem of the squad. That can be very annoying and he's not the only one paying (or should I say you are paying) for targets. Perhaps he needs to make a point to squad with slower shooters.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Have him shoot his own game, and the hell with the old farts

Reactions: 2llc and hotwater

·
Registered
18,712 Posts
Tell them when they start paying for your son's targets, THEN they can tell him how to shoot them.

Until then, KEEP THEIR PIE-HOLE SHUT!!!

It's a$$holes like this that ruin a good time for new/intermediate shooters.
Perhaps. But. A need for excessive setup times hurt performance when circumstances don't allow for it. My grandson was a lot like the description given. It was hard for me to slow down to his pace, and I was the one encouraging him to shoot, paying for his shells, targets, and gun. So. I took him to the doubles field. We shot doubles under new rules. His instruction was to be ready as quick as he could be and to break the first target as quick as he could so that he had time to get to the second target. It took a lot of targets to learn to get his stance right the first time and then stand there between shots. No shuffling around getting his stance each shot. No need to dick with the speaker every shot. Look downrange at EVERY target and be ready for your turn. Have a shell in the chamber so all you need is to close the gun. Look downrange to your look point as you mount your gun. Once mounted and solid on your hold point go for it.

It ain't a matter of assholes. It IS a matter of too much fidgeting causes problems both for the kid and everyone else. I can shoot with him now as can every other registered shooter.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Terry,
It sounds like he is shooting with the wrong people. I would tell him not to give it a second thought -- shoot his game. Must be some old cranky bastards up your way.

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
I agree to a point about shooting your own game, and you paid for your birds. I also agree that you are not the only one shooting, and not the only one that has paid their money to be there. I have shot on extremely slow squads, and extremely fast squads. I can adapt to about any thing...however I have my preference of what speed I want to shoot and I do my best when I am on a squad that shoots that speed. More practice and getting more comfortable with his routine to where it is almost second nature will increase his prep time and therefore speed up his shooting. He doesn't need to shoot as fast as he can, but blending in will benefit him and the other squad mates in the long run. Good scores seem to come when there is a nice flow to the squad.

IMO

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
..perhaps he is shooting too slowly...
And just who is the person that should determine that? I say it's the shooter himself.

If it bothers others, then they need to toughen up their mental game or shoot with someone else. IMO, it's not his responsibility to shoot the way others think he should as long as he is safe.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My buddy and I were talking last weekend. He's a hell of a shot saw him do 1 registered doubles shot I believe a 98 and won. But he asked if there are a lot of cranky Not exact word lol shooters. He said guy next to him had blinders etc on but saw him pick gun one inch off foot when getting ready to shoot. He yelled at him. he hasn't been to another. He owns a gun shop sells a lot of trap guns could be telling a lot of the shooters about registered shooting but one cranky guy stopped that from happening.

·
Banned
940 Posts
Tell him to mount his gun when the first shooter does so that he will be able to fire when it's his turn after the next three shooters shoot. That will help keep the squad's rhythm and give the assholes something different to complain about.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I for one like to shoot in a somewhat faster rythem but have always respected others and their style of shooting and their pace. What if a slower pace shooter did not like my faster liked rythem? I have shot with slow and I have shot with fast and am ok with both. Most complaints come from people as excuses for their poor shooting and looking for something or someone to blame it on. Tell your son to shoot the pace that best suits him and that he does the best with and take the complaints as just what they are. Again I am a faster rythem shooter but your son would be welcome to shoot with me anytime.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Not knowing how 'slow' your son really is, it is difficult to determine if it is "annoying" or not. I have seen adult All-Americans that fiddle around too much for me. One should be ready to shoot when the person before them has shot. If all your son is doing is taking a bit more time (1-2 seconds) to let everything settle, that is not a problem. If, however, he has altered his stance, not loaded his gun, wipes off sweat, etc, etc after the prior person has shot, then getting on a slower squad would be advisable. He should not be rushed, but it is his responsibility to maintain some sort of timeliness as long as it is consistent.

I watched Harlan Campbell a lot this past Grand and he does not even mount his gun until he sees the result of the prior shooter's shot, but then it is mount, check the beads, eyes settle and call...it takes about 3 seconds or so. To some 'hotshots' that is slow and any faster than that is not likely going to help anyone, IMO.

Best thing to do is evaluate his procedures to get to a comfortable rhythm and forget squadding with the complainers.

Scott Hanes

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Until then, Tell them to KEEP THEIR PIE-HOLE SHUT!!!

It's a$$holes like this that ruin a good time for new/intermediate shooters, sometimes running them off for good.

Don't let them intimidate you or your son! By the way, he's welcome to shoot with me anytime.
I think a lot of new shooters shy away due to how they're treated. My friend (who's not a new shooter) shot a winter league at a trap club that doesn't know him. After shooting a low score (I think a 17/25 in handicap) he had a member come over and tell him that maybe he should find a new game. He was dead serious. My friend has been shooting clay targets for 30+ years. Mostly skeet and sporting. He was shooting a new to him DT11 that he hadn't patterned. It was winter and he hadn't shot any practice. And he hasn't shot a whole lot of handicap targets ever. Why would someone do that? We're trying to get people to come out and shoot, not drive them away. We just started offering a class for new shooters to come out and get some instruction on basics and etiquette. We already do a safety class. This new class is more hands on.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Like how long are we talking? Let's start here first. How long does his routine take from the time the person before him shoots until he shoots?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts