Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor has a refrigerator that has the condenser on the bottom, underneath. The back is a blank steel plate. That plate is very cold to the touch, far below room temp. Really refrigerated level of cold. I did some internet research and other people have seen this same thing in their own units. The experts say if it isn't collecting water vapor it is normal. The thing runs a full 50% of the time. I think there is something wrong with the insulation when the outside of what is intended to be an insulated cold box is darn near as cold as the interior. I can't but think the heat that is being extracted from the interior is making a short trip right back in via the back plate. Does anyone know if this condition is considered normal?

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Typical of insulation that has slowly gotten wet. Very little insulating value from then on.

A run time of 50% is a typical symptom. If the fridge were defrosted long term, it would takes days for the foam to drain/thaw and dry. Newer models are better sealed from moisture.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Paladin. That is precisely what my suspicion was. Degraded insulation becoming a heat sink.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts