Trapshooters Forum banner

Ref. Using the PM system vs. Profile Postings

1528 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  V10
It seems that we have a large number of members who are having a issue using the PM system vs. posting on a members profile.

Members are posting all kinds of personal information on another members profile such as sales negotiations...payment info....credit card info....tracking numbers for shipping...phone and email contact etc.

DO NOT POST THIS ON A MEMBERS PROFILE......USE THE PM system as posting on the profile puts that information out there for everyone to see including those that are scammers as they look for this kind of thing.

When you click on a members name and their info comes up click on Start Conversation to get a PM going, it is super simple, if you do not know how to do this let myself or one of the mod team members know and we can help you.

If you could care less and continue to violate site security you will simply be banned.

If you have questions let me --harv shell or V10 know.

Thanks George/Site admin.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Vendor
20,985 Posts
It's a "click" issue that confuses those not accustomed to using "Conversations". If you normally double -click your mouse pad on your avatar, the "Profile Page" comes up and you post on the Profile. But if you single-click your avatar box, "Conversations" is easily recognizable. Single-click on "Conversations" and you are in "PRIVATE MESSAGING" (PMs)

· Registered
4,388 Posts
It's a "click" issue that confuses those not accustomed to using "Conversations". If you normally double -click your mouse pad on your avatar, the "Profile Page" comes up and you post on the Profile. But if you single-click your avatar box, "Conversations" is easily recognizable. Single-click on "Conversations" and you are in "PRIVATE MESSAGING" (PMs)
I was banned for doing exactly what you described. Thought I was PM'ing a person but I was mistaken. It would be easier if the avatar box said " Send PM"

· Registered
2,714 Posts
The profile post thing I feel is redundant and obviously confusing for some of our members. If you want to privately engage the person, you PM them. If you want to leave feedback, there should be a feedback tool like we had on the old site.

I cant really think of any reason why I would need to post to someone's profile?

· Super Moderator
6,291 Posts
The profile post thing I feel is redundant and obviously confusing for some of our members. If you want to privately engage the person, you PM them. If you want to leave feedback, there should be a feedback tool like we had on the old site.

I cant really think of any reason why I would need to post to someone's profile?
Modifications to the software are not being entertained by the owners.

Yes, that would be easier than getting people to modify their interaction with the software, but it isn't going to happen.

So people need to pay attention to what they are doing. Yes, I know that's a big ask.

For everyone reading this thread:

In one of the pinned threads at the top of the For Sale forum I showed the difference between what the "Conversation" page looks like and what the "Profile" page looks like.

That is here: NEW RULE ADDITION!! - PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE INFO IN...

Notice that they don't look anything alike.

If you "mistake" the Profile page for the Message/Conversation/PM page, you aren't paying very good attention.

While folks are looking at that I also suggest that they read the entire post and then read (re-read in some cases) the pinned posts at the top of both the For Sale and the Want to Buy forums.

That should be done periodically since changes to the rules do occur, not unlike the ATA Rule Book. Don't think that because you read the rules two years ago you know what the rules are.

· Registered
15,263 Posts
I just added this to my profile page if anyone wants to copy/paste it to theirs or critique it to a clearer or more concise message:

DO NOT POST ANY MESSAGES TO THIS PAGE, THE CORRECT WAY TO SEND A PM IS TO CLICK "MESSAGE" IN THE LOWER RIGHT HAND CORNER ON MY AVATAR ON THE ORIGINAL POST.

I noticed that you cannot even add profile posts to V10s page, is this a setting we can turn on to prevent anyone adding stuff to the profile, or is this super-mod only?

· Perazzi MX10RS
2,093 Posts
I just added this to my profile page if anyone wants to copy/paste it to theirs or critique it to a clearer or more concise message:

DO NOT POST ANY MESSAGES TO THIS PAGE, THE CORRECT WAY TO SEND A PM IS TO CLICK "MESSAGE" IN THE LOWER RIGHT HAND CORNER ON MY AVATAR ON THE ORIGINAL POST.

I noticed that you cannot even add profile posts to V10s page, is this a setting we can turn on to prevent anyone adding stuff to the profile, or is this super-mod only?
You can set it up in your account settings "privacy" settings.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Parallel

· Registered
15,263 Posts
It looks like there is a fairly easy way to fix this, but it will probably require each member to do it on their own.

Click on avatar at top right, and go to the bottom "account settings". On the left column, click on "privacy". Scroll down to "allow users to", then "post messages to your profile page". Change the dropdown to "nobody" and save.

This won't prevent YOU posting accidentally on someone elses profile, but it will prevent someone from accidentally posting on yours.

George/V10- Perhaps this could be added as a suggestion in the rules? If enough people did what I just discovered it would probably all but eliminate this problem.

· Super Moderator
6,291 Posts
Perhaps this could be added as a suggestion in the rules?
We could, but most people wouldn't read it.

They don't read the rules now.

Those who want to do it will figure it out, those that don't . . . won't.

Another thing that people can do is delete posts on their Profile page.

I've seen a couple of members do this because someone posted contact or PM-appropriate info on their Profile.

Some do it just to clean up the clutter.

While we're on the "things I'd like" subject:

Personally one thing I'd like is if everyone who creates an ad would put their pics in as thumbnails.

Makes for a much neater presentation.

If a person then wants to see a full size pic they just click on the thumbnail and they can see a "slide show" of all the pics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.