Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Ata needs to rethink its reduction system. I just found out a shooter that won a satellite grand championship caps and the grand singles championship (in his category) just got a one yard reduction. This does not seam right to me. Same shooters every year just going back a few then ahead more. What do you think is it time to stop the 1000 target review. What if you get a punch in that target year no reductions. Would that be a better system?

·
Registered
899 Posts
According to the rule book, if you earn 1.5yd or more at any shoot you aren't eligible for a reduction for a full calendar year from the date the yardage was earned. If you've shot 3000+ targets before that 1 year is up without earning any yardage you can request a special review from your Delegate. 16 yard Event wins really don't factor into the equation.

Do you believe there may have been a violation of the rules?

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
The Ata needs to rethink its reduction system. I just found out a shooter that won a satellite grand championship caps and the grand singles championship (in his category) just got a one yard reduction. This does not seam right to me. Same shooters every year just going back a few then ahead more. What do you think is it time to stop the 1000 target review. What if you get a punch in that target year no reductions. Would that be a better system?
No I wouldn't stop the 1000 target review.
I think that is how the system should work. Get a punch move back. Can't keep an average above the break point move up.
Good on the shooter for taking his reductions.

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
a shooter won a satellite grand championship caps and the grand singles championship (in his category) just got a one yard reduction.
When? and how many targets has he shot since and his average of those? Seems that should be all relevant to a quality answer.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Now that the ATA has returned to the 15 shooter rule, your going to see a LOT of back and forth. Guys are going to get punches for puny scores at small clubs for scores in the mid 80s to 90 or so just because there were 15 shooters there. Of course their "averages" are still going to be mid 80s territory so once they get 1000 targets they will get a reduction, then probably get a punch again ( still shooting low scores) so another reduction, after 1,000 targets. It will be one big YO-YO .

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I don't think there was any rules broken. The question is only do you think there is a better system ? Or at least that's what I was trying to ask. I just feel that there might be a better option. But maybe not.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I know a shooter who got a card in the mail a couple of months ago and his yardage was 19. He just got a new card a week or two ago and now it's 18 yards. He is very proud of this. He hasn't shot any hdcp. targets since last September.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
I know a shooter who got a card in the mail a couple of months ago and his yardage was 19. He just got a new card a week or two ago and now it's 18 yards. He is very proud of this. He hasn't shot any hdcp. targets since last September.
Really kind of odd if he hasn't shot caps in a year! Personally , I think no adult able bodied male should shoot in front of the 20 and I had hoped the ATA would return to that standard. I admit if my shooting (partly due to health issues) doesn't improve I may be headed in that direction. :( It would be hard for me to accept a reduction to the 18. I would probably turn it down at least that is my thinking now.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I think you earn yards backwards and forward. Taking the reduction is ultimately a personal choice while moving back isn't.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Myself and I think 3 others lost to an 18 yard shooter during this years Grand in a handicap event when he broke them all. I'm tickled that young man kept his game together to accomplish that feat!! He played by the rules and won by them, good for him and I congratulate him! BTW, I didn't lose anything, I gained!

Does that mean I agree with all the changes made to out game? Certainly not and for these reasons. The averages shot by the average 16 yard shooters are less than several of the highest handicap averages by out top handicap shooters! That's the reasoning behind the move awarding shooters an 18 yard line and those 2 yard reductions!

That, rather than further handicapping those mastering our game of handicap as fairness was once was attained. Our leadership merely kicked the can a tad farther down the road in neglecting that part of an obligation to our sport.

HAP

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Why can't we discuss the topic at hand without getting into the leadership kicking the can down the road or neglecting their duties? The other site is good at finger pointing so lets leave it there.

As far as reductions go I have felt no one over 18 should be in front of the 20 yard line and any one who has made the 27 shouldn't ever be in front of the 24.

The way to get things done is to talk to your delegate and if he doesn't follow the majority of the membership he is responsible for vote him out and keep changing until we find one that will.

If people can't take the time to attend most of their meetings or if they don't talk to their delegate they should keep their opinions to themselves.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Likes maybe you ought to lighten up a bit. Even if your delegate takes your state wishes to the ATA and if it doesn't get out of the zone meeting it never gets to the Big Boys. You might think your delegate isn't doing his job but he can't if the opposition controls the zone.

I agree no handicap shot closer than 20 yds.. The person helped was the baggers. Maybe a new event called the super 16's shot from the 18, you already have shooters practicing it now.

Don

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
I heard one guy say that after he got reduced to the 18 it made practice easier because he can shoot practice from 16 or 18 yds. now and it makes it easier. He doesn't even have to move the microphones now. The 18 yd. line is OK for those with disabilities and young kids but, I still maintain that it was a fairer game when able bodied adult males ere restricted to 20 yds. and beyond.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
hippie, I said "fairer" not perfect. There is always going to be somebody with greater ability. Golf has a handicap system but how many golfers could beat the top pro golfers even with their handicap? There isn't a 28 yd. line so 27 is the limit but, that being said, I'll take my chances any day against a 27 yarder before a sandbagger shooting from the 18 who doesn't belong there.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
They should do away with the 18 & 19 yd.line. Its just not handicap. At one tome you had to start on the 22

·
Registered
279 Posts
Handicap and classifications at most of the state shoots and the Grand is a farce anyway. If you want to have a prayer of winning at handicap, you've got to run 'em, and if you want to have a prayer of winning your class, you've usually got to shoot a AAA score anyway (for C and D, sometimes you might be able to win with only a A score)...and that's even after requiring folks to shoot several thousand targets or get stuck with penalty yards or bumped up to a minimum of B class! Meanwhile, the true beginner folks who likely would normally be on the 18-20 and make up the C and D ranks are more likely to get assigned penalty yards/class and end up shooting from the 23 and bumped up to B class because, being new, they're less likely to be as invested in shooting thousands of targets in their first year or two of shooting.

ATA might as well scrap handicap, have everyone shoot at the 27 and call it long range singles, and scrap the classification system since it's hopelessly broken anyway.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
There's nothing at all wrong with having an 18 yard handicap! Heck, a lot of shooters couldn't break a winning handicap score from the 16 yard line! I lost a handicap event to one such shooter at this years Grand by him keeping his game together and breaking them all! I congratulate him!!

Why do we see so many suggestions on completely changing our game to accommodate yardage and class questions? Could it possibly be because our target presentations have anything to do with such suggestions, without saying it?

Singles is an accuracy pointing game , more speed and a wider angle compounds that difficulty drastically! That same difficulty is further compounded in our game of handicap for accuracy in pointing/aiming in order to break them all. We either accept the rules of our game by abiding by them or change them, that, and not change the way our historical records are recorded! 27 yard singles, 22 to 25 yard singles, what a crock of suggestions,, that just ain't gonna happen!

HAP

1 - 20 of 20 Posts