Trapshooters Forum banner

Reduction/yardage earned Historical Question

1164 Views 14 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  stocker1042
Besides getting yardage for money earned, how (if any) have the ATA rules concerning earned yardage and/or reductions changed over the past 40 years or so?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
13,008 Posts
In the past ,Sub Jr. , Jr. shooters ,and Lady shooters all started on the 18 Yd. line The 18 Yd. handicap no longer exist and now all start on the 19 . Also back then ,The "younger" shooters were bumped to the 20 when they "aged out". Now those younger shooters must be punched off of the 19 by score and will remain on the 19 yd. line until they do.

· Premium Member
793 Posts
Another one I remember is you had to have 2 ATA members sign your application for membership.

Ron Burdick
I remember that. Did one have to be a life member? I do remember the day I sat at the Ontelaunee gun club waiting for someone to sign my ATA membership so I could sign up to shoot the days program. That was back in 1989.

· Registered
36,831 Posts
New shooters started on the 22 yd line.

Another one I remember is you had to have 2 ATA members sign your application for membership.

Ron Burdick
I remember that. Did one have to be a life member? I do remember the day I sat at the Ontelaunee gun club waiting for someone to sign my ATA membership so I could sign up to shoot the days program. That was back in 1989.
Both sponsors had to be life members and they were verifying you, the applicant was a person of good standing.

· Premium Member
8,274 Posts
In the past ,Sub Jr. , Jr. shooters ,and Lady shooters all started on the 18 Yd. line The 18 Yd. handicap no longer exist and now all start on the 19 . Also back then ,The "younger" shooters were bumped to the 20 when they "aged out". Now those younger shooters must be punched off of the 19 by score and will remain on the 19 yd. line until they do.
In the past, sub jr's, jrs's, and lady's started at the 22yd line but then could be moved forward to 18yds after 1000 targets.

· Registered
36,831 Posts
It is getting hard to even find ATA Life members today. Most of the ones I meet are Sr Vets.

Ron Burdick
No surprise to me, when you have nitwits crying the end of the ATA is neigh, why would anyone want to join a doomed organization as a life time member?

· Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actually took the jump and became a life member this year. At 46 years old, I did the math and figured it was close to being worth it. I also figured that there would be a price increase on both annual and life memberships at some point...and with interest near zero these days I did it.

I did the same with the NRA years ago. During the great recession they offered a discounted price for life membership. I forget what it was, but that's two I no longer have to worry about.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.