Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a can of Reddot that was in a bunch of reloading components that I bought. It is from 1993 and still has the factory seal. I'm wondering if its still good, like if the cans back then protected the powder pretty good from moisture getting in. Or is it a collectable?? No idea.
reddot1.jpg
reddot2.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
The container might be collectible, the powder inside likely is not. But the powder should still be usable.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Smell it, if it smells funny you’ve got some great fertilizer. If it smells OK, load a few and shoot them. Powder can keep for decades as long as it is dry. I didn’t see any rust in your photo, so you should be fine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If it hasn't been wet, (noticeable stains on the label) I'd wager a paycheck that it's as good as the day it came from the factory!

Off topic....I sure miss those cardboard Kegs. I sliced open a BUNCH of them in the past. Not nearly as many as some of the guys on here I'm sure, but I really dislike everything about the plastic "kegs"!!

PS..I just noticed it's a 4# can. Were some of those smaller kegs metal cans? I only ever bought 8# or larger. I know my dad had some smaller round Red metal cans from the '60s, and I shot that powder in the '90s and it performed flawlessly.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it hasn't been wet, (noticeable stains on the label) I'd wager a paycheck that it's as good as the day it came from the factory!

Off topic....I sure miss those cardboard Kegs. I sliced open a BUNCH of them in the past. Not nearly as many as some of the guys on here I'm sure, but I really dislike everything about the plastic "kegs"!!

PS..I just noticed it's a 4# can. Were some of those smaller kegs metal cans? I only ever bought 8# or larger. I know my dad had some smaller round Red metal cans from the '60s, and I shot that powder in the '90s and it performed flawlessly.
It is a cardboard keg

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your replys. I'll load some up in the future and see how it goes!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
If the powder was stored in a cool dry environment it should still be good. I purchased a one pounder of Green Dot a couple of years ago at an estate sale that was from the early 1990's and the powder was still in good shape and never had any issues with it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have a sealed 15 lb. cardboard keg which I will open when my supply of Solo 100 is exhausted, I expect it will be fine.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Along with smell when it goes bad it will look different. The color will be off and may have some of the flakes turn a yellowish brownish color. You'll know it when you see it.
As others have stated if it's factory sealed it's probably fine.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
A couple years ago I ran out of e3. I had a partial cardboard container of old Red Dot I bought in 1970. I had saved it because I loved the container. I loaded all of it and worked fine. I kept the container.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts