Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know. It makes no sense. Same hull. Same manufacturer.

I will go to my grave that I get many more reloads out of silver AAHS hulls over reds. Reds start with holes...then discoloration...then splits way before the silver ones do.

Anyone had the same experience?

And please, do not go down the "the old AA's were the best!" route. I know. But they aren't laying in the trash cans at clubs nor can I buy new flats and reload them anymore.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
I can only speculate that it’s a different resin used in the manufacture of the tube. That alone would be cause for difference in degradation. Repeated cycles of pressure and temperature affect differing plastics at different rates. Grays are Super Handicap loads and (I’m guessing) are subject to higher pressures than Extra-Lites in red. Those gray resins are likely just more durable. Again, all speculation but what can you expect from an engineer? :rolleyes:

· Premium Member
13,737 Posts
And please, do not go down the "the old AA's were the best!" route. I know. But they aren't laying in the trash cans at clubs nor can I buy new flats and reload them anymore.
I won't, but I load the AACF hulls exclusively. Without any actual data, it always seemed to me that the silver 25th anniversary version lasted for more reloadings than the red ones.

Reactions: sdive2

· Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can only speculate that it’s a different resin used in the manufacture of the tube. That alone would be cause for difference in degradation. Repeated cycles of pressure and temperature affect differing plastics at different rates. Grays are Super Handicap loads and (I’m guessing) are subject to higher pressures than Extra-Lites in red. Those gray resins are likely just more durable. Again, all speculation but what can you expect from an engineer? :rolleyes:
While it is true that the silvers are held for super handicaps, reds are used all the way up to "heavy target" 1200FPS 1.125 loads, not just lites.

· Registered
728 Posts

I will go to my grave that I get many more reloads out of silver AAHS hulls over reds. Reds start with holes...then discoloration...then splits way before the silver ones do.

Stocker - I see the same thing.

That said, I've not counted the # of reloads of red vs gray/silver. However, from observation it certainly "seems" like I get less reloads out of the red and as the red always start to pin hole around the crimp before the gray/silver.

· Registered
413 Posts
The guy I give my hulls to prefers the reds, he's got some he doesn't know how many times they've been reloaded. He says the grays are "softer" and don't crimp right for him. I've got a couple hundred reds in my truck for him now.

· Registered
6,249 Posts

Red AA-CF or HS? Silver AA's were AA-CF Handicap, dark Grey are the current AA-HS Super Handicap.

Of the two current AA-HS hull, I prefer the Dark Grey, but I have plenty of red ones too.

· Banned
1972 BT 99 Winchester SuperX model 1
212 Posts

I hate to brag, but I came upon about 12000 once fired compression AA hulls and am set for a while. I can get an easy 15 to 20 reloads out of them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.