Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using Lyman's 5th for my 12 guage 2 3/4- 1 1/8 shot using Red dot recipe,w209 primer. I went through Alliant's reloading guide has mostly Green dot and 1 or 2 recipes for red dot. What is the preferred powder? Just started reloading shotshell so am asking for advice and opinions.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
Well, Red Dot will get you the same velocity with 2gr. less powder when loading 1 1/8oz.

Can send 1 1/8oz to 1,250 FPS with Green Dot.

Red Dot is better for 1oz loads than Green Dot !

Not a whole lot of difference. Really, it all boils down to what color you like better ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am using win aa plastic hull with CB 1118 wads. So stuck with red dot because that what's on hand. Doesn't the powder need the correct hull/wad ?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Kdwilson

I remember reading, over many years of TS.com posts, that Alliant Green Dot produces more dense patterns than Red Dot or other powders, especially in the central core of the pattern. This is why Green Dot is considered a superior powder for handicap loads.

My personal preference is Red Dot for 16 yard and short handicap and Green Dot for long handicap and long range "games" loads.

For me, 19 grains of Green Dot, a Federal F209A primer, a 12S3 clone wad in a once fired Federal Paper hull and 1 1/8 oz. of Hornady magnum size 7 shot was a money winner for long range, back fence "games".

Back in the 1970's, the classic Federal Paper "anywhere on concrete" load for games and ATA was 18 grains of Red Dot, 1 1/8 oz. of 7 1/2's or 8's in a Federal paper hull, 12C1 wad and a Federal 209 primer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Loaded green dot exclusively when I first started loading 40 plus years ago, loved it. Have moved to E3 current day, burns extremely clean, just really hard to come by these days. Still have some in reserve for now. I really feel you will be happy with either one.

·
Registered
11,581 Posts
I prefer a proprietary blend of both.....Yellow Dot 🙈🙊
Oh, you like 700X. Has yellow ID flakes.
I think the reference night be to Alliant " Clay Dot" powder. It had yellow flakes in it and was supposed to be Alliant's answer to Hodgdon "Clays" Powder. I don't think it sold that well but, Alliant list it as ---Clay Dot® PRINCIPAL USE 12-gauge target loads SECONDARY USE Light target loads on their web site.

·
Registered
11,581 Posts
I thought that's what Promo was,
PDave
Yes ,I've heard that nonsense about Promo being "floor sweepings" I always had great results with with it, and would still be using it if I could FIND ANY ! I've shot up probably close to 100 lbs. of the stuff ! I have won several trophies with it, even won a trophy at the Grand using it once.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
I think the reference night be to Alliant " Clay Dot" powder. It had yellow flakes in it and was supposed to be Alliant's answer to Hodgdon "Clays" Powder. I don't think it sold that well but, Alliant list it as ---Clay Dot® PRINCIPAL USE 12-gauge target loads SECONDARY USE Light target loads on their web site.
Slide, Clay Dot actually has orange flakes. Just about finished with a keg, been using it for 1oz loads.

Food Vertebrate Plant Ingredient Handwriting

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Reactions: 2500 HD
1 - 20 of 22 Posts